AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)  (Read 115324 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)

Reply #120 on: March 01, 2006, 07:57:06 am
Yup, that's the one. BG artist contest coming up.

- Adam

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #121 on: March 02, 2006, 05:20:58 am
wow. I'm not even part of the picture.

I thought of the sprites I would like to animate....C.c I guess that's what I get for being so self centred.

it IS a shock to se none of my work recognized at all, but ultimately I'm just glad this is not everything I have to hang on anymore, like it was on the last contest, hopefully my life is going forward now like it seems to be, because the more time I spend here the more I feel I'm just not cut to live off of pixelart.

Crabs, Helm...I really apreaciate both your comments =D , because they are so godamn honest and supportive, each in their own way =).

heh...the lil mockshot is something I cooked up because I had procastinated playing Boktai2 for a while, so when the contest came up I started it up again, and when I got to the point where that quote appears it was just too perfect to not put popeye in there.

Honestly, I knew a "clean surface" freestyle entry much like most would have a better chance, but I just found that way too standard, overdone.

The closest I could come to that in my mind was something with wild varying with outlines which WAS in the Popeye sketches and I LOVED ultimately that became the raymanized version.

these two guys specially inspired me, first one's dynamism and the second one's face.

I still like my Raymanized entry because of the dynamic pose, but I did not exactly achieve what I wanted.

while it has elements of  wild varying with outlines, I lost focus because I made that secondary in the name of the pose and the size.

I'm specially shocked that not even the boktai guy got one good vote, I thought I had a good synthesis of all the variations of the style there.

Boktai guy and 3dish guy I thought had the best sprite version of popeye's face in the whole contest, but who knows how that comes trough for everyone else.

Helm, about the saturation...what can I say? it's popeye, it's saturday cartoon, I couldnt think anything else than bright colors all over the place, I could've done something eerie with the hues or something I guess, but that just doesnt seem popeye to me. Also, I made TWO freestyles, which one are you specifically refering to?

if you feel like making an edit at all I would be honored.

Damn, I also wouldnt have expected that freestyle to be the highest rated at all, I thought schu had us all beat if anything.

I wonder what's going on in those  heads of the judges :p

finally, Faceless I have to give it up to you, while I didnt see it coming, you didnt abuse of the space like most of us did, I could perfectly see popeye executing all his actions within the 48x48 box and in conjunction both your sprites are really solid....so you totally deserve the job, you ARE the most solid one out of all of us, you did beautifully in both regards.

Have fun, do great work, working with people like Matt is honestly the best prize I could ever think of.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:45:11 am by Camus »

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #122 on: March 02, 2006, 10:20:29 am
"I wonder what's going on in those heads of the judges :p"

Gee, thanks. At any rate, congratulations again to everyone who entered this contest because I didn't see a single sprite I disliked. The swelling of talent here lately is just amazing.

- Adam

Offline initial_reality

• learn to live, live to learn
    • View Profile

Reply #123 on: March 02, 2006, 11:13:49 pm
Adam, maybe you could write a quick comment on those sprites which haven't got any votes.
I know my freestyle is unlikely to be in a game, but I thougth my boktai ones were good.
Thanks. Only a contest like that to put my lazy ass to work :D

Congratulations Faceless!

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #124 on: March 03, 2006, 01:14:19 am
Now that it's over I'd be happy to offer my comments to anyone who wants to hear them. I won't unless asked though (and I'd be happy to PM if you want). Apologies if a lack of votes made anyone feel down - I just felt a strong obligation to let other know how close they got, so that there's many winners here instead of just one, especially in cases like Alex where his sprites got so much attention.

Form's pretty solid on both of these and I like your color choices. I think the linework could be adjusted here and there (big Popeye's back leg is angular, the curve of his arm jumps a bit) and the color-to-linework seperation is a bit strong, mainly because your shading colors are pretty bright. I would try selecting colors that help blend your outlines or create a smoother joining between them and the lines. Other than that, they're very cute sprites.

- Adam

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #125 on: March 03, 2006, 04:29:02 am
oh come on....I didnt mean it that way Adam. I guess for a change it came out wrong  ::)

I just want to know their judging criteria, these guys certainly know what they are talking about, but I'm so far submerged in my abstract little ideas I cant imagine what they are judging on.

Adam, I'm gonna take you up on that offer, I'd really like to hear some C&C from you, that goes for  anyone else up to it too.

is anyone else up for some C&Cing too?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:31:59 am by Camus »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #126 on: March 03, 2006, 09:34:53 am
I'm always up for crits.
And it would be nice to know exactly what I did right, and where I could have done better for future reference.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #127 on: March 03, 2006, 04:54:14 pm
Camus, your sprites were kind of heavy on the saturation, to the point of slight distraction from their detail. Otherwise they were pretty good. I think your child Boktai in particular was great and a nice style match to the reference. If I'd had more than 3 votes I probably would've given one to him.

Faceless, hard to say, your sprites just felt like Popeye. The posture, the detail, the colors, everything read really well. You used the space well and got all the essential details in there without maxing out the space to feel boxy at all. Your coloring was simple, but in this case I think it actually punctuated the detail in the sprite. If Nintendo themselves made a GBA Popeye game I would expect their sprite to look very much like yours.

- Adam

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #128 on: March 03, 2006, 05:05:18 pm
C&C from Adam? What a treat! I'd enjoy knowing what you thought about my entries. Also I'm not sure which (or which combo) of my entries scored 2 votes.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #129 on: March 03, 2006, 07:13:58 pm
Hey Dhaos,

Actually, I lost the sheet we voted on so I'm not sure which one it was. :( As for C&C yours were both very solid adaptations. You made good choices in style and detail selection. To critique, I'd say your poses could have been slightly stronger. When making sprites, you always want to keep the silhouette in mind - the more recognizable that shape, the more it means each detail in your piece is standing out. This is probably one of the reasons Faceless' entry got 4 votes - even if the character was completely blacked out, it's obviously Popeye. Yours wasn't bad in this regard, but it's a little more convoluted in the way his arms are on his hips, etc. Takes a little more time to figure out visually.

- Adam