AuthorTopic: Joy  (Read 3948 times)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Joy

on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:59 pm
Trying not to idle away my free time, so here's some pixels. Not finished, but can't really tell anymore if this is progressing in the right direction.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Joy

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:48:16 pm
Too much symbolism in a single picture? Do you need the oni bumps *and* the exposed brain *and* the vaguely robotic lower body? The main aspect of the thing is the fake/real expression and I think that's coming along fine (though the nosetril area of the nose seems too fat/takes too much space that should be taken by the nose ridge I think).

I like where you're going with this, I'm not sure if it's overloaded is all.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:38 pm
Looks to me like you dove into the detail before you got your basic form down.

Several things look off to me. The neck is too long ( the body is probably too far down ). The fingers on the hand are too long. The lower lip on the mask doesn't look right. The side of his head looks like its a bit too long, and the ear looks to far back. Something weird going on with his jaw. Looks like his forehead is too short, the eyes look to be about 2/3 to the top, should be about 1/2 way to the top.

I think it's a good concept, but if you want it to look right you'll have to rework a lot of stuff.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:31:02 pm
Shuffle shuffle. I'll have to save the robots and brains for another picture.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:36:20 pm
I think the theme survives better like this.

The ear is lost in its shadow a bit, amorphous. Need more inward curve in the outer part of it I think...

The way the mask throws color in the face - which i assume it is doing... you're going to have to reassess how that light diffuses towards the upper part of the scalp, I think.

The mask is too close I think to a Guy Fawkes mask, which might confuse the viewer trying to reach for a V for Vendetta connection when the point of the picture might be a different one.

You might have to light the relevant parts of the neck that catch direct light from the mask more, mind.

Looking forward to how this progresses.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:19:40 am
What is that thing behind the mask. A flame, a wisp, a part of the background? It looks kind of distracting when it's that close to the face.

Quote from: Helm
The mask is too close I think to a Guy Fawkes mask, which might confuse the viewer trying to reach for a V for Vendetta connection when the point of the picture might be a different one.

The internet kids (read: scum of the earth) are gonna love this. :B
Though I don't think it looks that much like a Guy Fawkes mask, it looks more like a traditional jester/theatre mask.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:07:23 pm

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:58:06 pm
Looking better. Opening the eyes of the mask more was a good idea. I'm kinda confused as to why the hand is there though. Is it to show that he is in control? It kinda looks disconnected (the hand) and feels a bit out of place.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space