AuthorTopic: Leaf tileset wip  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile

Leaf tileset wip

on: March 18, 2009, 10:00:44 am

This is a jungle/treetop themed tile-set I've been tinkering with for some kind of simple platformer mock-up. Inspired from re-playing Yoshi's Island.
Plan on adding different coloured flowers above the leaves, some more grassy bits and i guess finally some items and sprites, but I'm focusing on the environment at the moment.
First time doing this in a serious attempt, so I'd love from some crits!

I know roughly what I want to have my background look like, but i'm going to hold off on that for a while, the sky blue is a lame placeholder.  :)

let me know if there is anything else I can post to make it easier to critique or anything!

Offline El Huesudo II

• View Profile

Re: Leaf tileset wip

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:22:50 pm
It looks awesome.

However, there are some things that bother me about the stalks. The outlines aren't consistent, and it looks kind of unclean. That, and the fact that they look wrinkled, when a stalk is generally firm and solid.

The vines have the same outline problem, by the way.

Other than that, the leaves that outline the floor look too uniform, when they'd look better, and more complicated, if they weren't all falling directly down. I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly... It looks like someone left leaves hanging down the edges of the floor, instead of plants actually growing from the ground.

I love the tiles, though, and the flowers look impressive.

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:32:48 am
thanks for the feedback!
I've been having problems getting the vines and stalks to look the way i want, so I'll give your suggestion a try.
 I think if i make the lines run vertically on the stalks that may look better as well, that's how i originally sketched them out.. not sure why i didn't try it that way in the first place.
I'll play around with leaf suggestion too, maybe curve/curl them a bit so they're still hanging down but a little more diverse.
thanks again!

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:38:34 am

I worked on a new version of the ground leaves today, as well as threw in some sprites for some size relation and added the new vines.
Did a rough sketch of the background for the level this tileset would be in.
I havn't done the ramps and slopes for the new ground leaves yet, and the sprites likely wouldn't be for this level, but they are in the style i'd be doing other characters. I posted some of the sprites on pixeljoint earlier today. http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/41265.htm
again, probably not for this particular level/tileset, but same game style.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:30:03 pm
absolutely cute and lovely. 
your pinky flowers do a great job at breaking monotony of such a tileset.
I'm not sure i'd really call bushes and treetops "pixel art" on this piece (i.e. they have that look of "non-saturating brush" effect), but they're impressively effective as soft background.

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 06:09:11 am
oh, I should have clarified, they are just placeholders, I will be pixeling the real thing