AuthorTopic: Skeleton Sprite walk animation  (Read 3352 times)

Offline pawelotti

• View Profile

Skeleton Sprite walk animation

on: March 21, 2009, 10:22:38 am
i made this animation some time ago, but i don't have any idea how to improve it.

i know that it's looks simple, but it's the best i have done last time.

c+c please
I'am from Poland. My English is bad - sorry

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Skeleton Sprite walk animation

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 10:30:41 pm
I like it.

Minor crits:
A human skeleton has two bones in the shin and forearm.

The ankles don't bend at all.  Is this intentional?  It seems if the knees bend, there is no reason for the ankles not to.

The black outline is a little heavy, your 45 degree lines could be cleaned up a bit.

Where is the light coming from?   The lighting on the near arm (the one with the sword) seems inconsistent with the lighting on the near leg.

I think the hips should move a little bit, with the walk, but I've seen other animators get away without it.  Depends on how realistic you want it to be.

Are you looking to convey any particular mood with the walk?  Should the skeleton be threatening, or scary?  Or just a normal walk?  If you want to exaggerate the scariness, I'd recommend making him hunched over and lurching a bit.  for a normal walk, the upright is ok.

Oh, and here is a link to one of the masters of his craft animating some skeletons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYeZMx1Y7U

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline emikochan

• Kitchen Witch
    • View Profile
    • Emikochan's Nexus

Re: Skeleton Sprite walk animation

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:59 pm
Definitely one of the more iconic skeletons, you can't go much wrong with emulating those. They do seem quite rotoscoped though, they do a few really human actions (I guess that could make them scarier)
Pretty much agree with tourist, adding a more dynamic movement to your skeleton would be wise.
Nothing should be in a fixed position and reference is your friend :).
+Welcome to my world+
+My Deviant Art Gallery+