AuthorTopic: Some "Old" artwork for you ;-)  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Iceman

• View Profile

Some "Old" artwork for you ;-)

on: March 19, 2009, 11:26:47 pm
Hi all, :)

Well ok, Ptoing told me to post this lot here so there you go.

Whats it all about?

Well, I have been working in the game industry for a very long time (since the Spectrum/Dragon days) and the following are sprites/bits & pieces/ etc etc from when I did graphics for games and demos. Some of them have been used in games, and some have not....its a bit of a mix and match really. And of cause because they were designed to fit games or concepts they can look a bit odd...but hey....thats what I was payed to do.
Plus converting them from the originals into readable pics for a PC seemed to do something to the picture quality... but ah well... they are as close as possible to what they did look like.  ::)

Im posting them here so that perhaps some of you can use them, or get ideas or whatever....They have been stuck on floppys and converted to Jpeg format and then left on my hardrive for many many years, so please feel free to use whatever you want. Im sure that they would be pleased to see the light of day again! :lol:

I will post some new stuff I am doing soon, but for now enjoy some old style stuff ;-)

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Re: Some "Old" artwork for you ;-)

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:06:40 am
Hey, you should reupload in PNG format. It's really hard to make many observations when they are in JPG format.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:40:52 am
That zombie looks REALLY familiar to me. Should it?

(Edit: To infinitegames-- I think he said he's only got the JPGs.)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:25:15 am
You probably uploaded these in their original .bmp. Photobucket has a thing against bmp and will auto convert them to jpgs. I was looking for a program for batch converting a bunch of BMPs to gif, and this looks like it might work.

http://www.makeyougohmm.com/20060507/3258/

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 01:44:43 am
They have been stuck on floppys and converted to Jpeg format and then left on my hardrive for many many years, so please feel free to use whatever you want.

Could you people please try to read what the original poster writes before assuming stuff? It seems he does not have the original resources anymore, so bothering him about uploading uncompressed stuff wont change that.

That said, some of these suffer pretty badly from the jpeging :/
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:20 am
eheheh, sorry ptoing. I saw the jpgs and the photbucket link and leapt to some conclusions. Sorry to hear about the jpging Iceman. That's gotta sting.

What games and system are these three from? They look interesting and I'd like to try and find some screens.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:47:45 pm
What games and system are these three from? They look interesting and I'd like to try and find some screens.

I'm gonna take a guess and say the first is a tileset from a specific level from Lemmings. The second is a spider-man animation i remember seeing in old VHS tapes as a company logo, it's probably a direct conversion to pixel work. And on the last one i see the Flashback main character spritesheet (profile view of dude with brown coat), at a reduced scale.

Of these, my favorite are the realistic portraits and the single scene landscapes, like the castle on a mountain, the smoking hut and the ice mountain, and the tilesheets with the cars and characters.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 06:47:22 pm
Hey Iceman, these bring back some great memories for me from my Amiga days. Were some of these used to promote the Reality Games Factory or maybe I have seen some of them on Amos disk mags?

Thanks for posting them :)

Jason.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:55:03 pm

I'm gonna take a guess and say the first is a tileset from a specific level from Lemmings. The second is a spider-man animation i remember seeing in old VHS tapes as a company logo, it's probably a direct conversion to pixel work. And on the last one i see the Flashback main character spritesheet (profile view of dude with brown coat), at a reduced scale.

Of these, my favorite are the realistic portraits and the single scene landscapes, like the castle on a mountain, the smoking hut and the ice mountain, and the tilesheets with the cars and characters.
Flashback? Iceman, did you work on Flashback? The original? A port?

Offline Iceman

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 07:50:30 pm
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply but been very busy as Im doing some work for a retro-game from the Amiga days called Darkmere. Im (hoping!) to be working with the original artist on it, and we are going to be sticking to the original Darkmere 2 storyline.....not like Dragonstone was.  But I will post some screens and WIPs on this board as it progresses. ;D

Ok erm, well,  its been years since I did them graphics, but to answer the Qs posted by crab2selout, Turbo and QuickSilva:

The Spiderman anim was indeed for use in a video. Core Design was supposed to be doing a heroes game at one point and also Psygnosis got interested in that type of game too, so this spiderman anim was done. He actually landed on top of the title/developer name. So yep m8, its very likely you have seen it on a video at sometime in the past. I do know that during my work on red sector demo maker, that a video of 3d work and also demos was released by a copy group, so maybe that was on it.

The tileset, well I have to be honest I really cant remember what it was from. I dont think it was for lemmings or a game like that, but hell, I worked on so much stuff at the time it may have ended up with it, but if my memory serves me I believe it was from a game similar to virocop, but I cannot say for certain.  My HD is full of so many graphics and bits and pieces from when I did work that unless it was a memorable job, I sometimes cant place it.  But hey, im a man on a mission now you have said that and im gonna go dig a bit and see if I can come up with the game they are associated with....will let ya know. ::)

The flashback ones Turbo mentioned are indeed the very same graphics. That set was for a never released game being developed at the time by a new company called Brainless Software who had been pitching Delphine Software a game called “Nanator”.
I dont know what happened, but what I can remember being told was that Delphine wanted to use their Flashback sprite resized and tweaked, but Brainless wanted the sprite to look more like the Digital Illusions game sprite from Benefactor, and there was a falling out and then the companys died and, well, no final game. Which was a shame as the idea was really really cool.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:55:21 pm by Iceman »