AuthorTopic: [WIP] Space Marine Sprite  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Mind-Freak

• View Profile

[WIP] Space Marine Sprite

on: March 19, 2009, 02:04:33 am
Ok, I've been brainstorming an idea for a top-down shooter/adventure game. Anyway, this is the main character... so far. I've been working on it for a little while now but, I'm not too sure whether or not the sprite looks quite right :/

Should I change the color pallete around? Too much dithering!? I don't know, could you help me out guys?

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: [WIP] Space Marine Sprite

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:17:46 am
The forum has a zooming feature, you don't need to post different sizes. Also, never save to jpg, it screws up the colors. Try png maybe?

Pixel-wise, it's not usually a good idea to dither metal. :/ If it's a top-down game, why is the character seen from head-on?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:36:59 am
the .jpg is killing your colors.  When zoomed, the sprite at actual size looks very different from the zoomed one below it.

I quickly re-pixeled it over yours (colors are probably wrong / different, so post your original as gif or png so others can edit properly) and did an edit.
Removed the dithering and altered the shading here and there.  I'm really new to pixel art, so others will probably have better edits.

One thing, tho:  if you're dithering for texture then that's cool, but if you're trying to make the dark grey in your pallet appear a little lighter, you'd be better off just choosing a lighter shade.  Unless you're stuck with that shade due to limitations or something.  i didn't change it, myself.

Also, the red in the right robot and the blue in this one are hard to notice unless it's zoomed in on.  Even in the png version here.  You might want to make those brighter or give them a glow or somehow make them contrast more with their surrounding shades to make the eyes and little color areas stick out a wee bit more.

Offline Mind-Freak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 02:29:48 am
Thanks for the input guys! I made his eyes, and the random lights on his body brighter. So now they stand out more, and I edited his posture, so it looks more like you're staring down at him. Anything I should fix?