AuthorTopic: [WIP] 1950s isometric cars (C+C wanted)  (Read 23745 times)

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

[WIP] 1950s isometric cars (C+C wanted)

on: March 17, 2009, 07:46:44 pm

This here is an "isometric" depiction of a 1956-1959 BMC Austin A95/long boot A105 "Westminster" with aftermarket modifications consisting of a sunroof and boot lid rack. It is a quintessential example of a post-war British family sedan which 1950s design is always a step down from its American counterparts.

Obviously, the lineart is evidently complete, but not refined, and the colours are still poorly managed, with colour count of the car alone already at 16 (it's has a whooping 6 shades of green, 7 black-to-white hues, and three shades of dark red). It lack convincing reflections and shadows (with a light source from the upper left corner of the scene) are not properly rendered.

At this point of time, improving on the reflection is a primary objective, but the car still appears to carry other minor faults that may complicate any later corrections. I like to compile a list of possible problems in this car, so that I can plan out the sequence of adjustments to be done. It certainly can look much better than this.

Earlier progress shots have been posted in Pixel Joint.

----
UPDATE (18-2-10):

Westminster (latest version; 16-7-09):
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:11:25 pm by The Mozack »

Offline El Huesudo II

• View Profile

Re: This isometric car sucks (C+C wanted)

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:22:11 pm
6 greens? I only count 5. Maybe you can substitute the darkest one to a dark gray.

Other than that, you'd have to point them out for us.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:14:11 am
Other than that, you'd have to point them out for us.
That specific? OK.

Since the most evident problems are being rectified though, I'm not sure where I should start.

The reflection stands out better now, and the colours are in the process of being soften out. The rack was removed based on Pixel Joint comments, and the rear end of the roof was adjusted to present a better curvature. The rims may require improvements, and detailing on the interior and shadows are being worked at now. Also, if I recall, based on the light source, isn't the front windscreens supposed to be have streaks of white or a light shade of colour from the reflection?

Also, took your advice and ditched the darkest green (which turned out with nothing of value lost). Counted 16 colours here: 5 greens, 5 greys, 3 maroons, and one each for orange, black and white.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:17:11 am by The Mozack »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:37:55 pm
You've got some banding issues here are there, highlighted in red. something more like what ive highlighted in green looks much nicer.

Helm's gone over this many times but there's a lot of detail about it here;
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8110.msg92434#msg92434

Oh and made a slight colour edit too that may help, its good to use some hue shifts that change through the shades, pushed the lighter greens closer to a yellowy green, and the darker ones to a more blue richer green. Slight more contrast too wouldn't go amiss.

You're getting there, im not going to do a huge edit of this because really it's just minor things that are holding this back atm, get the shading form down, along with the banding issues, sucessful AAing to polish this off and it'd be pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:41:26 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:01:02 pm
...made a slight colour edit too that may help, its good to use some hue shifts that change through the shades, pushed the lighter greens closer to a yellowy green, and the darker ones to a more blue richer green. Slight more contrast too wouldn't go amiss.

Push the hues further apart? Can do. Lollige had suggested similar colour schemes at PJ, so it may be an acceptable after all. But a range of yellow-to-green may be more fitting since the grey hues were already saturated into several sets of cream tones:

Either that, or hues of the cream shades are adjusted in favour of a green-blue spectrum.

You've got some banding issues here are there, highlighted in red. something more like what ive highlighted in green looks much nicer.

Helm's gone over this many times but there's a lot of detail about it here;
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8110.msg92434#msg92434
Yeah, Helm's draft "pixel art handbook" (a good read, I may add) had me reexamining the car for faults he pointed out, particularly the banding. Clearly it's overly rampant due to the nature of the subject (tons of lines run parallel), problem is an effective solution to address it entirely isn't going to be easy to find, although I had some success, as you have pointed out with the portion marked in green.

I'll give proper AA a go and see if it works.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:06:28 pm by The Mozack »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:28:16 am

The AA is working, somewhat. I haven't started with the front fascia and side window frames, but the lines look sharper now.

Colour schemes for the contrast are currently being examined. Tried a reverse of the green-blue combination for the body by Terley, using green-yellow tones. The lighter tones of green aren't standing out as the one in Terley example does, though, but the reds are also clearer here for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:36:36 am by The Mozack »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:29:07 pm

Made colour changes and attempted AA on parts where banding is present.

I need pointers on what to do with the area circled in red. It's pretty tough to address it due to colour constraints.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:27:46 am
No comments?

EDIT: Currently working on a new front grille, because the reference features a bulging fascia.

Once done, it's on to the bumper and the banding above it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:52:13 pm by The Mozack »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 06:53:19 pm
The grille and bumpers are done. Made a few more adjustments and assembled the parts. A bit more work is needed before this is done.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:59:33 pm

The car as it currently is. As far as I can tell, much of the banding has been addressed, but the lack of comments on unresolved ones means not all of it is eliminated. Also, three shades of red had to be added for the reflection of the front windscreen. This means there are now 19 colours counted.

The rims may be redone next.

If there are still issues here, feel free to point it out.