AuthorTopic: Walk animations, Delta Odyssey  (Read 5067 times)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Walk animations, Delta Odyssey

on: March 15, 2009, 05:14:57 pm
Hey, so I was talking to Souly and he suggested I maybe take a stab at getting back into a project I've been working on extensively over the years, that I just haven't touched in quite some time. So I did, and managed to make another walk cycle for this character. However, I seem to have some glaring flaws with it, that I'm just not figuring out how to fix. I'm pretty new with the whole 8-frame animations, and I feel like the timings are off, which is throwing off the believability of the walk. So to those animation gurus here, please, help me out.

EDIT: NEW>

This was the first one I did, which I may slightly revise also, if there's anything you notice on it too:

Please help, these look so wrong, and I need to fix them!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:01:55 pm by AlienQuark »

Offline Heinze

• View Profile

Re: Walk animations, Delta Odyssey

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:48:01 pm
Think about something cool...
Your sprite  ;D
I think there's nothing wrong with the sull, but the head of the top is too small

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:53 pm
In all of these it seems like he is moving his shoulders as much as or more than his hands

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:07:39 pm
His hips don't appear to be moving at all.  The arms are moving forward and back around the torso, but the torso stays still.  The moving shadows on the torso help, but the stripes at the edge of the shirt don't move at all.  The net result is that the torso and hips appear static, and the arms and legs just look like they are contracting on springs rather than moving forward and back.

Maybe at the left and right edges of the torso, have the stripes curve up by a pixel, suggesting they go around a tube (into the screen).  When he walks and one side is pulled forward, have that side curve a bit more forward. 

Maybe for the hips, have the bottom edge of his rump slant up towards the leg that goes forward, and back towards the leg that goes back.  Not a lot, just something to give the illusion of forward and back.

My two cents.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 04:51:50 pm
Started working on the side view walks:

Still WIP

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:39:41 pm
Here's another thing I've been working on. Basically just have the water to deal with at some point.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:31:32 pm
I think it looks awesome ;D Love the style and feeling. I believe that blob shadow is a bit too wide for the character though.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:53:26 am
All I can say is that that looks stunning. so simple and clean. The rocks are perfect. Although maybe some transitioning from the rocks to the sand could be done? like progressively smaller rocks in some places.
You better make this game. I'd buy it.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 05:07:19 am
I remember this project. I had some issues with the black outlines in the scenery overpowering the characters.

I like this beach very much. Nice and clean. Keep the images coming.