AuthorTopic: hand  (Read 2930 times)

Offline aregon810

• Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
    • View Profile

hand

on: March 25, 2009, 06:22:25 pm

hand, CC appriced 1st try on hands (are way harder than it looks)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: hand

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:15:22 am
Be patient and hold off with lighting and shading for a bit.  We will get to that later.  Let's just focus on the dimensions of your basic, run-of-the-mill pixelling hand.

The purple lines are cut in half.  The yellow lines are equal lengths.

The main thing I want to show is that from the base of an average thumb to the tip of an average index finger is nearly halved when your thumb is flat.
And notice that the "core" middle part of an average hand is a middle finger's length wide and a middle finger's length tall.
Finally, perhaps by coincidence, the first notch in my index finger lines up with the tip of my pinky finger.

The cool thing is that you have two hands of your own that you can use to help you build your pixel hand so that it more accurately represents an average hand!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:18:01 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Zuonius

• Huzzah!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:05:52 pm
One thing you might want to consider is the actual pose of the hand.Try starting with a simple pose like the hands in Rydin's picture.

Trying to portray a head-on view with the fingers bending down is a pretty tough starting point, imo. Try redoing the fingers, except this time make them all straight.
A good exercise would be to have the fingers all close together and then all spread out.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:37 pm
What the heck are you shading it so much for? If practice, go for quantity not quality. You should be producing piles of quick hand sketches in an attempt learn the form, nevermind the shading part right now. Prioritize your efforts, don't dillute them.

Offline aregon810

• Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:46 am
ok here is a new try on a hand.

this time I didn't realy shaded + tried to use radin's proportion

what about this? I dont know good how to make the tumb
CC please