AuthorTopic: Platformer Sprite needs improvement  (Read 14368 times)

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Re: Platformer Sprite needs improvement

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:15:12 am
Tried some shading for my sprite :-X

Offline 006

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:06 am
The shading and contrast seems to make him look too round and barrel like. I tried to make an edit and keep the cartoon-y style you wanted.

First Post.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:45:29 am
Thanks for the advice, 006 :D

Better?

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 03:33:41 am
I have to agree with Gil and say I really liked the flat style for some reason. It looked cool.

But if you're going to shade it, you should probably refer to Pawige's and NaCl's edits. Although, it seems like you're going more for Pawige's style.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:27 am
I have to agree with Gil and say I really liked the flat style for some reason. It looked cool.

But if you're going to shade it, you should probably refer to Pawige's and NaCl's edits. Although, it seems like you're going more for Pawige's style.
Hmm, I will think about it, I still don't know which type to choose.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:09:43 pm
Yes, I still think the original with black outlines looks best. That's why I pointed you in the direction of games that have a similar style. I'm not sure if adding shading is going to work well, since the original looks so pure.

If you are going to shade it, like Dr D says, take it further like Pawige's edit.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:51:05 pm
Really you just need more contrast with this, here's an edit I made earlier.   :crazy:

You can share some colours in this if ya wanted, no need for so many with this, I think the addition of black as said would make a great difference.

I put his feet to a flat and pushed the leg on the right over a pixel for balance. Was just trying to make him more grounded, being a small guy and all.

Alter the lineart too a tad, imo his heads a bit too big. Gave him ears and a better sense that he can see, rather than two lines for eyes.

Changed the hair too, looks very meshed onto the head in your version. Bit more on the front

11 colours for this, im sure you could get it down more, not like it makes a difference.. hell you could bring it to 10 to add some highlights.

I aimed to have the skin a warm but light cartoony pink, with the shade more of a darker orange that could be recycled into the scarf highlighs. The brown in this can be used in the skin, hair, shoes and im sure the coat too if pushed. It acts as a connection to black alongside the blue, both being on that side of the hue mixer.

With the blue coat Im keeping in mind that for the white of the eyes a blue can really help soften and give some interest.

Just my thoughts, take what you like from what im advising and keep us notified of updates  :y:

much love  :-*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:02:29 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:09:30 pm
Very good edit Terley. That's actually a very clean style to go with. I like the blond hair better though, the orange blends in with the face a bit much. The eyes might be better left simplified too.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 10:28:09 am
That sprite obviously needs some work :S
Meanwhile, I made a mockup of a game I want to make, which is inspired by nes/gameboy games :)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 10:59:41 am
Very nice, simple, clean. Loving the style. Don't have much to say besides that you could probably push the values for the background tiles down a bit, they seem to be on the same level as the surrounding metal pieces, which are obviously in front of those tiles.