AuthorTopic: Need help with running animation!  (Read 5543 times)

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Need help with running animation!

on: March 14, 2009, 08:10:11 pm
This is an extension of my first sprite thread.

I'm quite new to this animation (and creation) in the sprite business. I've been trying to finish this running animation for months, but I'm stuck halfway:

As you can see, it's still very rough and very incomplete (the last frames I've still yet to get done), but I just felt I had to get something out here in order to ask for advice. I know some of the motion is very awkward. I just cut off the bottom half of the last frame simply because it (leg animation) looked very unnatural, and now I don't know what to fill in next.

(Also, I intend on using PC-Engine 9-bit color values in the end, which is why I'm using some dithering techniques as opposed to the 24-bit gradients I see most posters utilize in my previous thread.)
Edit: Updated sprite:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 01:47:59 am by sfried »

Offline atariciyizbiz

• View Profile

Re: Need help with running animation!

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:45:34 pm
Maybe this cycle sheet will help you:

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:57:35 pm
Keep these things in mind:

Animate a skeleton or silhouette before you add all the detail and such. This helps immensely.

The contact frame (where the foot is touching the ground, but no weight is yet on it) going into the recoil frame (where there full foot is on the ground, and the leg is bent with the full body weight landing on it) will give then run weight and make it look like she is actually hitting the ground.

The arms move like a pendulum, they do not move at a constant speed back and forth. They are moving fastest at the bottom of the arc.

The shoulders rotate with the arms, and the pelvis rotates opposite of the shoulders. There is a twisting motion in the torso, and without it you will get what looks like a paper doll running.

The entire body moved up and down as you run in a smooth sine wave. The top of the head does not stay level, and it does not jerk around. It moves smoothly up and down with the body.

I think if you just try and animate the girls silhouette (with different colors for each body part to differentiate), while referencing that image posted above me, you'll be able to finish this. Also, if you want an 8 frame run, then omit frames 1, 5, and 10. That will give you recoil, passing, high point, contact, recoil, passing, high point, contact.

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:16:26 am
Few questions:

Do the arm movements synchronize with the leg ones? I know there is a pause for each extend, but I have trouble trying to portray the leg movement.

Should I do the leg movement first before the arms?

Also, I'd like to limit this to six frames.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:19:03 am by sfried »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:21:06 am
Block everything out in simple colors.  The arms oppose the legs, i.e. when the right arm is in front the right leg is in back.  But they are in time with each other.
Go with eight frames.  For walks/runs dealing with threes is difficult, and although not impossible a pointless challenge for a beginner I feel.  So go with eight, or four if you want it REALLY fast.

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 04:51:29 am
Do you think it's worth to redo the entire sprite from scratch?

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:35:47 am
Yes.

Some part can probably stay but don't be afraid of a little more work. It SHOULD pay off in the end.

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:21:25 am
I know this sounds rather stupid of me, but should I try to animate each section of limb at a time?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36:03 am
I would just do one frame at a time. However, just work with blocks of color, not final stuff. Then, you can watch the animation as you are working and tweak it before adding detail. Once it looks good, then throw the detail on top of it.

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:21:34 am
Edit: Nevermind. Redoing it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:25:43 am by sfried »