AuthorTopic: My first drawing XD  (Read 7264 times)

Offline AllesiaTheHedge

• :D Heya everyone!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Re: My first drawing XD

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 01:58:27 pm
The thing is that regardless of wether it's a pose that can be taken by a dog, or that it's different from a regular wolf: It still looks strange to me!
When I look at the same character on her DeviantArt, it looks better. She nearly seems monkey like. Very athletic, a thin body and long legs and a rather large head.
http://allesiathehedge.deviantart.com/art/Chance-of-running-67549992
It looks right there. But in this pixel version something's just not natural about it. The back legs really are smaller in the versions on here deviantart, and they look better.
Let me demonstrate it in this way then:

I tried to stay more true to the character here, while still trying to make it look more flowing an more natural.

Well I do agree with Terley and TrevoriuS. And what you sent me the link belong to my dA site is indeed an old piccy updated 2 years ago if you're carefull to see when exactly. So yeah now i've improved more.

And, Opacus, i'm totally sorry that you missed reading what i was talking about, actually i just had invented that species, called rather "paochatian" and it might look like a wolf, but and some appearances of cat.and i do know of course drawing wolves.it doesn't matter if i did some mistakes of anatomy. it's just a practice of pixeling^^

Next time you should be carefull when doing it right and with who you would agree!  :)

Offline AllesiaTheHedge

• :D Heya everyone!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 02:14:09 pm
Thanks for every advise and i do really apreaciate it a lot. That's true of what Allaze said that my character looks quitely different from a cat and a wolf, because it was suppossed to be a new species i wanted to create and such a story too. So thanks for explaining them, Allaze.

If you want to know more there's my blog: http://paochatians.blogspot.com/

As you see what i was doing right. It was nearly a practice, though i wasn't referring at the anatomy i just wanted to try pixeling it then posting it for getting critiques, for sure.=) I also know about anatomy but I have to thank TrevoriuS for the tip ;)

Like i said i'm just a new to here XD i hope i will post more if i will have time. Till now i've been great busy with school, plus exams X_X.

I hope here i will find some great tutorials  :P

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:50 pm
Critiques may be harsh as everyone here are all nitpicky perfectionists from time to time, but don't be drawn back, all we do is give assumptions of what we think is right; which is an everly changing opinion

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:15:24 pm
The thing is that regardless of wether it's a pose that can be taken by a dog, or that it's different from a regular wolf: It still looks strange to me!
When I look at the same character on her DeviantArt, it looks better. She nearly seems monkey like. Very athletic, a thin body and long legs and a rather large head.
http://allesiathehedge.deviantart.com/art/Chance-of-running-67549992
It looks right there. But in this pixel version something's just not natural about it. The back legs really are smaller in the versions on here deviantart, and they look better.
Let me demonstrate it in this way then:

I tried to stay more true to the character here, while still trying to make it look more flowing an more natural.

Well I do agree with Terley and TrevoriuS. And what you sent me the link belong to my dA site is indeed an old piccy updated 2 years ago if you're carefull to see when exactly. So yeah now i've improved more.

And, Opacus, i'm totally sorry that you missed reading what i was talking about, actually i just had invented that species, called rather "paochatian" and it might look like a wolf, but and some appearances of cat.and i do know of course drawing wolves.it doesn't matter if i did some mistakes of anatomy. it's just a practice of pixeling^^

Next time you should be carefull when doing it right and with who you would agree!  :)

I'm always carefull with who I agree with. And I stick by my point.
I'm fine with the fact that you invented the species yourself. That's why I made that second draw over. Which isn't modeled after a wolf.

The fact of the matter is: The drawing disregards anatomy. So it still looks wrong.
Even when you create a new type of animal yourself wouldn't it be logical to still have it abide by the general anatomy of a four legged mamal?
As it currently stands the creature would in reality probably not be able to walk at all. Maybe it wouldn't even be able to live!

My edit simply makes some minor changes in your creature just to make it look more real, anatomy wise.

And you say you didn't refer to anatomy, and that you do know anatomy but for some reason didn't apply it and you just wanted critique on it.
But if you post a pixel art with incorrect anatomy you're bound to be criticized on it! That's really what critique is about isn't it?
If you know what errors your art has, mention them. So people don't point something out you already know.

And please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend or insult you. I just want to help out!

Oh and Terley: Don't worry about it man :)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:27:25 pm
Opacus makes a very valid point here:
Never leave mistakes in, and never make something look like a mistake whil you're really still working on it. When working for a client and sending in a very jagged animation while you actually should add more keyframe blending to make that look nice, makes the client critique stuff you already know of. You don't want that as it wastes time for both sides. I'm talking purely commercial but it also applies to you getting critique from friends and fora, don't waste time with obvious mistakes; unless you want to trick your viewers in you improving alot and sitll having an excuse to do not go into minor details ;)