AuthorTopic: Some sprites.  (Read 7000 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Re: Some sprites.

Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:49 pm
Gil and Eyecraft: thanks for the input, I'll work on those issues.

NacL: Thanks for comments on the execution process... what you pointed out is a really great idea... don't get me wrong, even though I agree and that's something I should do, I normally use that circle based body so I don't go way too big or too small, same goes for the line that I have on the right side, right close to the palette... for sprites of commercial characters, I tend to go 100 in height tops, maybe a little more or a little less, depending on the character in mind. But I do raw straight outlines, and the color thing is just the idea, but as you can see I draw the outline while observing the artwork as reference, then in step 3 I clean the lines... these are the rules I have been using so far:

1. Circle based body
2. Draw lineart.
3. Clean lineart, maybe do the hair if not done on step 2.
4. Add eyes, add colors in the face, and in the body.
5. Make all details.
6. Shade the insides.
7. Color the black lineart with the darker corresponding colors.

now, extra steps that I had in mind after that:

8. Shade lineart.
9. Fix shading problems.

I didn't do these steps, cause of my lack of skill in both... I will try to work around the execution process, so I deffinitely appreciate your input here, specially in the whole processing part, since you are the first one who actually commented on that. Also, thanks for pointing out the good stuff in the sprite, as well your comments on what you liked about it.

Jad:Well, these were interesting observations you pointed out... really, I never heard of banding before, so that's something new to me. The reason why I left off work labeling as complete, is cause one of the most main things I have been most worried about is developing an specific original style, so instead of going back to old sprites to fix the stuff, I tried making new ones, and using what I think could look better, on the new ones, while leaving the older ones intact... so that way I can see the difference as well my improvement as I keep progressing doing more sprites of different types of characters.

...for example, my first sprite I ever made:

This is Yoko from the old school sega genesis valis games:

*image removed*

take a look at that anatomy, now look at another character I made the next month, from the same valis series:

*image removed*

I mean, here the same valkyrie type female looks more like a woman, it's a more realistic anatomy compared with the old one... these two months I'm on my "goal" of developing an style that I can be satisfied with it... some styles in fact, ones for show (fan commercial characters) and another main style to use as characters in battle in my rpgmaker projects...

On regards your edit, I noted the difference, and have a more clear understanding of certain things... I will be making examinations on it, then I will see how I can adopt those techniques in newer sprites... also, I have been thinking after a while to go back and expand the size of the older characters from january, to have all sprites, or at least most of them go around 100 in Height just how the latest ones have been done... that could be the perfect opportunity to fix those issues as well.

I also want to add, that I'm not trying to be defensive on any of my comments, not implying any of you think this way, but I just though I'll say it... I'm a very expressive talkative person, and I like sharing where I stand, as well letting others know how I see things in my own terms... it helps a lot understanding each other. Once again, thanks all of you for your criticism.

If you guys have the time and don't mind, can you comment on the Valis ones? as well, I will like more focus on the shanoa one, since that's the one most people have viewed/favorited in my deviant art account(http://antifarea.deviantart.com/).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:12:35 pm by CharlesGabriel »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 02:40:04 am
I'd urge you to try and to lineart as one of the LAST steps, try to make a piece where you create form by refining a sillhouette and then add in highlights and shading, it may not be your method of preference, but give it a try, you can always decide it's crap in the end and do it your usual way with the other ones : D
' _ '

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 11:32:28 am
I'd urge you to try and to lineart as one of the LAST steps, try to make a piece where you create form by refining a sillhouette and then add in highlights and shading, it may not be your method of preference, but give it a try, you can always decide it's crap in the end and do it your usual way with the other ones : D

I will be trying to apply those details you mentioned in the previous post today, since I will be starting spriting some battle charasets for my game... what do you mean by sillhouette? I never heard of that term... to be honest, I have only read these tutorials so far:

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218
http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/
http://cardgallery.tales-tra.com/tut.htm
http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel_art/tutorials/walking.asp

are there other tutorials you can recommend, in order to improve making characters?

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 08:31:13 pm
Sorry for this small contribution, but something jumped out at me:

Quote from: Antifarea
...one of the most main things I have been most worried about is developing an specific original style.

Don't, repeat DON'T worry about your own style.  Ignore it.  I mean, obviously, unless you want to mimic someone else's style, but developing your own will happen naturally.  Rough quote from the Animators Survival Kit:
Quote from: the Animators Survival Kit, the author's mother:
Don't worry about style.  Ignore style.  Focus on getting it right, and your own style will happen.
Not sure if that's exactly it, but yeah.

Later
Shrike

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 12:16:44 am
Sorry for this small contribution, but something jumped out at me:

Quote from: Antifarea
...one of the most main things I have been most worried about is developing an specific original style.

Don't, repeat DON'T worry about your own style.  Ignore it.  I mean, obviously, unless you want to mimic someone else's style, but developing your own will happen naturally.  Rough quote from the Animators Survival Kit:
Quote from: the Animators Survival Kit, the author's mother:
Don't worry about style.  Ignore style.  Focus on getting it right, and your own style will happen.
Not sure if that's exactly it, but yeah.

Later
Shrike

Thanks for the tip.  :y: