AuthorTopic: Firefox 3 blurring pixel art question  (Read 37434 times)

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

Re: Firefox 3 blurring pixel art question

Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 02:08:46 pm
if it's now being looked into then sure, that's fine. what really irritated me was the deliberate integration of a solution that changed functionality in a negative fashion, and then stonewalling any attempts to bring issue with it.

I only care because firefox has always afforded me excellent user control, and I think this issue is pertinent to a far broader community than "people who want to make leetle pictures bigger" even if most of them are apparently oblivious to it.

edit: oh, and the filtering method in it's current incarnation actually destroys data. would you be so nonchalant about all your gif's and png's being converted to jpeg and resampled because it looks "nicer"?

AOL flashbacks
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:12:45 pm by Don risotto »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #41 on: June 14, 2009, 05:00:17 pm
So, where do you get all that info?

Firefox 3 was released, people filed a bug report, some dude made an awful patch to fix it, they took some time to make a proper patch, it's going through the nightlies and now it's close to being released in a final.

I don't see the stonewalling, I don't see the lessened user control, etc. All I see is a simple interpolation update having ramifications they didn't foresee, then a proper way of handling it through bug reports and patch propagation.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 06:15:22 pm
no data is destroyed.  right click - view image.  always come pure without resampling.  hold control to do that in a new tab and you've got a way to view images without even disrupting your flow.

For us it's a nuisance, but like gil said for most of the userbase it's a significant improvement for photographs and as to why they didn't think to include a switchback initially, why should they have?  They responded to feedback with a patch as quickly as any large group does, and the fact that they responded period puts them a step ahead of some other providers.  The level of anger/resentment seems disproportionate, especially with so many workarounds available if you do somehow care that much.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 06:41:25 pm
I should designate ndchristie as my spokes person, he usually explains my broken language much more eloquently.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: June 14, 2009, 08:56:31 pm
Well I'm glad it's been addressed. Yeah, maybe I was a bit over the top about it, but it's just so damn frustrating.  :blind:

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: June 14, 2009, 10:56:54 pm
One thing I didn't like about how the Firefox staff handled the problem is the strong reluctance to listen to the people reporting. From what I recall, a lot of the people adressing the reports were arguing that it was better rather than just acknowledging people didn't like it... and a lot of them didn't even seem to realize what the people were talking about for a long time. It was a bit discouraging.

However, I'll be glad when this fix comes out, though I wasn't exactly happy with the route they took(I'd have much preferred a simple about:config option).

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #47 on: June 15, 2009, 03:31:09 pm
The current solution is even better Dusty.

Pixelation can add this new CSS to their style sheet, so any user coming here using FF3.6 will already get nonblurry zooming, without having to explain every new user that they need to change about:config options to fully enjoy the site.

As for yourself, if you want to display all images on the web in nearest neighbour, all you have to do is edit your usercontent.css accordingly, which is just a simple edit. I'm going to create a script that only applies it to certain sites for myself. I actually like the filtering if applied to photographs, etc.

Offline Bers

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 11:32:41 pm

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 07:09:17 am
So now that Firefox 3.5 has been released is there a way to remedy the blurring problem or does it still exists?

Jason.