AuthorTopic: Kanye West  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Kanye West

on: March 08, 2009, 12:03:32 am
It's been awhile since I've actually posted here, really need to get back to this since I can actually sort of pixel now.

ANYWAY here's the piece, obviously it's not finished, but .. it's getting there:

So, yeah, what's wrong with it thus far?

Edit: Newer version, still want crits though, of course:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 01:50:26 am by Solitaire »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Kanye West

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:30:05 am
the random purple doesn't do anything for the piece, so I ask you, why add it? unless that was a mistake :x
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:24:41 am
I'm not great at writing long paragraphs of general improvements you can do, so I'll just point out some likeness issues I see:

-His head is a lot more round, especially at the top.
-His edge goes a little bit further down in the middle, and up and pointier at the sides.
-Ears need to be larger and slightly pointier.
-His chin is a lot bigger, and pointier at the bottom, there is also more space between the mouth and the bottom of the chin, as well as more beard hair(visible).
-Maybe you'd want him to be looking right into the camera, as in the reference? The eyes in your version seem to be looking somewhere a little lower and to the right of him.
 They also don't seem to belong to the same person, the eyes don't match as much as they should.
-Cheeks probably need to be more puffy, especially on the right side, it seems you have some lighting inconsistencies there.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:29:40 am

The nose is way too long, the goatee too triangular, the chin/jaw are too short, his right eyebrow isn’t curvy enough, left eyebrow shouldn’t come to a point at center of face, hairline much too straight, top of the head is too flat.  What’s with the purple? Needs brighter  highlights  and greater use of darks to define volumes,.
Ears are too small and highlight how badly the proportions are off.  On the reference photo, they begin near the top of the eye and end near the top of the nostril, on yours they end near the middle of the bridge of the nose.

Basically just draw less from your head and pay attention to line, form, proportions, and tones of the reference photo.  Remember, you're not drawing a human head, you're drawing a collection of lines and shapes with relation to one another.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 06:21:27 pm by Cure »

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:30:56 pm

Everything you have draw is a little bitt more angular than the real Kanye wich is a littlebit more round,
as you can see Kanyes head is rounder at the top, same thing goes with the fringe(?) that is a little rounder too on real Kanye. And the head shape is more oval than yours.

Make him a bit rounder and I think he will become  more like real Kanye. I think.