AuthorTopic: [WIP] - Bear in flowery meadow  (Read 8020 times)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] - Bear in flowery meadow

on: March 06, 2009, 01:48:55 pm

I'm quite satisfied how the head looks like so far, and Ive got a fairly good idea what this is going to look like when finished.
I want to hear what you think about it in general before I put too much effort on doing details.
I'm thinking about perhaps hide his legs behind some high grass, because I'm not really sure how to make them. And his arm, is the grabbing fist alright?

Would really appreciate your criticism on this! Thanks guys!

Offline greenalchemist

• pixeled pink
    • View Profile
    • My DA account

Re: [WIP] - Bear in flowery meadow

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:23:19 pm
Looking alright so far, for the most part. As for the 'grabbing fist', it either needs to be a little tighter around the flower, or the flower stem needs to be further in her/his paw; just move it to the right a little, or something along those lines. Also, the darkest shading along the head doesn't make sense to me. It's following a flower petal pattern, but no other shadows are doing that. Is his head petaled on the sides in some way?

Lastly, it this based on Gloomy?
I don\'t like signatures. You try and think for hours of a witty one-liner to put in that won\'t be over-used or annoying, but nothing comes to mind. But what else is there than to put some sappy song lyrics or a huge picture? Nothing. So instead, I\'ll just write about hating signatures.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:01:25 pm
The updated grabbing paw:

I must say that they look a like, I took the idea after searching for "bear", and it might have been Gloomy I got my inspiration from since they look a Lot like eachoter. And the flower petal pattern, it was meant to look a little like this:

This is perhaps a bad exaple but I think you know what I mean. But  mabye I shouldnt mix the shading with the tigerish stripes?
Thought it would give him a cute touch.

Thanks!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:06:23 pm by SirBilly »

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 04:08:14 pm
He looked too much Gloomy that I decided to do a whole new one.
This is what I came up with so far, so please crit this one instead. Thanks to greenalchemist fot noticing too!

Offline greenalchemist

• pixeled pink
    • View Profile
    • My DA account

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:26:42 pm
I'm glad you found it useful, though I do feel bad that you had to change the whole face :x

As for the new face, I like where it's going so far. Maybe put a little more space between the eyes, and definitely color the nose, black or otherwise. The paw is an improvement as well, by the way. Though this may be a little irrelevant, I also liked it better when the bear was looking up and to the right a little more; it gave it an interesting, contemplative/melancholy look, and gave her/him a little more personality.
I don\'t like signatures. You try and think for hours of a witty one-liner to put in that won\'t be over-used or annoying, but nothing comes to mind. But what else is there than to put some sappy song lyrics or a huge picture? Nothing. So instead, I\'ll just write about hating signatures.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:06:08 pm
Two different edits, both are facing a bit more to the right

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 07:04:14 pm
Jpged!
The eyes need more volume.

Offline greenalchemist

• pixeled pink
    • View Profile
    • My DA account

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 07:39:36 pm
Yes, I definitely like that tilted head look. I think I like the one on the left more, with the small line for the mouth. But I also like the nose of the one on the right more.

This isn't so much a suggestion as pointing out something - the bear on the right, her/his smaller eye is slightly blurred, making it look almost square. Have you thought about taking his eyes in that direction?

I know you said you didn't want to put too much detail into the bear yet, but I want to make a comment on the shading, anyways. I think it would really benefit the picture if you applied some dithering. I'm still quite a novice with pixel art, so I don't know if dithering is general avoided or what, but I think the shading you have is a little too solid, and dithering is the only technique I know as of now that combats that. You may have already been thinking of doing it, but just in case, I thought I'd suggest it. Here's an edit I did, with some dithering applied (though not very skillfully), along with an edit to the nose, making it a copy of the bear on the right's nose.

And yes, you should probably switch your image file to .png or .gif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 08:04:04 pm
I definately like the version without dither better. I dunno, dither hardly ever works on a piece this big IMO.

It has lots more character with the new face, liking it! :y:

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:26:05 pm
Jpged!
The eyes need more volume.

Ops, I thought I made it transparent already, that's why I uploaded in Gif.

Yes, I definitely like that tilted head look. I think I like the one on the left more, with the small line for the mouth. But I also like the nose of the one on the right more.

This isn't so much a suggestion as pointing out something - the bear on the right, her/his smaller eye is slightly blurred, making it look almost square. Have you thought about taking his eyes in that direction?

I know you said you didn't want to put too much detail into the bear yet, but I want to make a comment on the shading, anyways. I think it would really benefit the picture if you applied some dithering. I'm still quite a novice with pixel art, so I don't know if dithering is general avoided or what, but I think the shading you have is a little too solid, and dithering is the only technique I know as of now that combats that. You may have already been thinking of doing it, but just in case, I thought I'd suggest it. Here's an edit I did, with some dithering applied (though not very skillfully), along with an edit to the nose, making it a copy of the bear on the right's nose.

And yes, you should probably switch your image file to .png or .gif.

I definately like the version without dither better. I dunno, dither hardly ever works on a piece this big IMO.

It has lots more character with the new face, liking it! :y:

Heres an update with a dithered version aswell: