AuthorTopic: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!  (Read 231550 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!

Reply #160 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:42 pm
Isn't the Split in the Es and As and the bright outlines on top of and beneath the letters banding or am I missing something?
That's picture perfectly the example you gave about diminishing "infinite resolution".

There's also 45° anti aliasing on the G which, I guess, works if they tried to go for a glow effect but that is used way too inconsistently to be considered intentional.
Some parts of the logo are blurry, others are crisp to the point of having jaggies like for example the first A.

It seems weird that you who can't not see banding would praise this or am I just grossly misunderstanding the concept of banding here?
That wouldn't surprise me, actually.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #161 on: March 24, 2012, 03:02:29 pm
Yes it is, but they don't want to convey a sharp edge there, but rather that gradiation. With the palette and the res, that's the best they can do. I only begrudge banding when it's avoidable.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #162 on: March 26, 2012, 12:39:07 pm
Yes it is, but they don't want to convey a sharp edge there, but rather that gradiation.

I'm looking at hi res versions of that logo and they are all sharp without any gradients on them so why do you think that is intentional?
Is it because of the impact a single pixel has at that resolution that you assume such a mishap can only be intentional given how deliberately everything else has been placed?
Well that doesn't explain the inconsistencies in other places I described earlier.

It makes more sense to me that this is sloppy anti aliasing so that the gradiation is in fact a subpixel.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:42:19 pm by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #163 on: March 26, 2012, 01:20:39 pm
There's probably brand issues if you start pushing the logo around into your pixel grid to that extent, I can't see any way you could avoid at least some of that antialiasing.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #164 on: March 26, 2012, 02:30:36 pm
Yes, I took it as a style choice to make the vertical aspect of the logo a bit blurred while keeping the horisontal sharp, and this is the way the artist could do it with the means they had. Look at the cloud shapes, how almost all of them are good clusters, how there's little to no noise and how he buffers from the cloud color to the sky color  selectively with the middle shade, not everywhere making it a blurry mess. Look how the foliage (mostly) avoids banding well and especially look at how sharp and crisp the figure is.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #165 on: March 26, 2012, 04:38:22 pm
And then look how everything you just described just makes the beginner mistakes and irregular polish on the logo seem all the more jarring.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:40:10 pm by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #166 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:55 pm
I don't see it as such a big deal.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #167 on: April 13, 2012, 08:48:44 am
I downloaded metal gear solid just for the art. Gameplay was amazing too ( until my emulator stopped saving progress). I don't want to say ahead of it's time, but it was definitely a great hybrid of being informed of higher resolution console graphics and consolidating it into the GBC screen with extremely solid pixel tech. Looks better than some GBA games. I don't have any issue with the logo either, It's easy to tell it was done with intent and it's not glaring anyway.

And those cutscenes too... Loved the inky style- the game had such a great aesthetic.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #168 on: August 07, 2012, 09:47:43 pm
I've been rereading this. It needs a *lot* of cleanup. I hope people can get through the strange writing style and the hanging metaphors and stuff to the meat of things. What I wanted to get to is that I was discussing with my friend who doesn't know much about pixels about what I've tried to contribute to the form and the two things I sketched out in paper for her to understand where about perfect lines and how to clean up cluster contours, and about banding avoidance. She got both very easily. These two things would be first and most important lessons I would teach a pixel newcomer. I think every pixel artist that wants to progress should take small photos of things and try to abstract them first in 1bit and then in 2bit to 1. learn how to make good lines and 2. learn how to make lines touch without too much banding. This knowledge can be systemized. If I weren't working two jobs, I would create a small curriculum and keep a repository of how people 'solved' the same set of images. Perhaps someone else wants to step up. Something like a high contrast human face to be abstracted in 16x16, a telephone, a car, a baseball, stuff like that, simple and iconic and useful. Not an oil painting.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #169 on: August 08, 2012, 01:37:45 am
I'd volunteer to assist with that,

something along these lines for the series of images and examples of the task itself to outline?

probably without the animation though, I just couldn't help myself  :-X