AuthorTopic: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!  (Read 231519 times)

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Re: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!

Reply #80 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:27 pm
I know the thread is month old, but I recently send a pm to Helm about the matter and he asked me to post it here for open discussion.

I know that a main website is a problem; or maybe not a problem, but not the optimal solution, because some things/ones might get left out. And the wiki can get messed up.
But as Scriblette said:
I expect it's not too difficult to set up a theory/tutorial board with posts such as these locked up nice and safe.

This could be easily done. In the same theory board (or in general discussion) there could be one thread dedicated to expand it's content, or many personal threads (like Ramblethread) that after sometime get revised, edited and squeeze of all their juice into a new clean thread. The personal threads could be "sign" by the artist so we don't get confused and accept them as the absolute truth. Ex: "Helm's Theory on Dithering", "EyeCraft's Theory on why he's called EvilEye", and so on.

Just that... I like the C&C style, but theorical threads are needed also, if not the critic/edit discussion sometimes turns into: what if i put the pixel here?... what about there?... not good? or I know that your edit is better but i don't know why. And a board is needed to contain them because some theorical ideas that have been written in the forum got lost with time.

Bye!  ;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #81 on: January 06, 2010, 07:52:29 pm
I'm all for a theory subsection, however not locked but open. Just a few threads not in the danger to fall off the first page here in the General Discussion, as long as mirrors of posts culled from other threads that can be useful. My concern is how would people navigate a thread named for example 'Ramblethread' while searching for exactly 'dithering' or 'antialias'. I guess just search function - search subforum 'theory' could be enough. I wish we had some sort of tags system, though.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: January 07, 2010, 02:18:12 am
I guess just search function - search subforum 'theory' could be enough.

I think that the search function doesn't work properly. I don't remember what it was, but i was searching for one word, and didn't get any results, but instead with the google function: "site:/www.wayofthepixel.net/ **word**" I got a lot of results.

There could be an "Index Thread". That would go something like this:

For Dithering:
* Thread/Post A
* Thread/Post C

For Anti-alias:
* Post B

Something like the "Tools, Resources and Linkage" thread, but with internal links.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #83 on: January 07, 2010, 05:15:47 pm
Can anyone replicate that error in the search engine? I've used it to good effect a lot of times, personally.

Also, any other thoughts by other users on the matter at hand?

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: January 07, 2010, 06:13:58 pm
Can anyone replicate that error in the search engine?

I searched for "isometric" in the search box, and i got one result: this
I then searched it in google: site:www.wayofthepixel.net isometric, and I got 133 results.

Maybe I'm using the forum search incorrectly, but I don't think so.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #85 on: January 07, 2010, 07:11:24 pm
Same here, hmmm... I wonder what's up.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: January 07, 2010, 09:02:56 pm
It searches wherever you currently are. If you're searching from inside a thread, it searches that thread, if you're searching from inside a subforum, it searches that subforum, aaand if you search from the main page, it searches the whole forum.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #87 on: January 07, 2010, 11:35:47 pm
Just to be sure, you could try cleaning the search index and reindexing? Might take a while though. That is, if that possibility exists with SMF, I never looked.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: January 07, 2010, 11:38:19 pm
It searches wherever you currently are. If you're searching from inside a thread, it searches that thread, if you're searching from inside a subforum, it searches that subforum, aaand if you search from the main page, it searches the whole forum.

You're right. Just try searching for isometric in the main page and it turned out 13 pages of results. :)

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: January 08, 2010, 03:55:07 am
I know the thread is month old

Thanks for the bump. This is all golden.