AuthorTopic: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!  (Read 231529 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Ramblethread! A brainstorm approaches!

Reply #90 on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:17 pm
Jorund's idea is good. I would like to see it come to fruition.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #91 on: March 14, 2010, 08:36:22 am
shouldn't this post thread (:blind:) get featured? it's a true minegold. It'd be a pitty to have it burried in the depth of General Discussions alone.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #92 on: March 14, 2010, 09:35:29 am
Nooo!! Because then someone else fantastic might volunteer a part about texturing only, for then they too to slowly disappear forever!
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #93 on: March 14, 2010, 10:19:27 am
This is a constant work in progress for me, expect this thread to be around for a long time before it's locked and treasure chested or whatever.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #94 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19:27 am
The abstractionist should not make their resolution that fine so that in the single pixel no longer feels like it belongs.

I don't understand what you're saying, is someone able to rephrase this for me. By "their resolution that fine" do you mean small resolution? "single pixel no longer feels like it belongs", what does that mean? Maybe I'm just out of touch with feelings.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:21:36 am by alspal »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #95 on: March 15, 2010, 03:27:25 am
The abstractionist should not make their resolution that fine so that in the single pixel no longer feels like it belongs.

I don't understand what you're saying, is someone able to rephrase this for me. By "their resolution that fine" do you mean small resolution? "single pixel no longer feels like it belongs", what does that mean? Maybe I'm just out of touch with feelings.
Fine resolution generally refers to more pixels in less space. Each pixel is less significant, as more pixels are used to draw the total picture.
For example: in a 32x32 picture, there are 1024 pixels. Each pixel can be said to have a significance of 1/1024 (though grouping of pixels can result in a given set of pixels with N members having much greater significance than N/total_picture_pixels)
In a 16x16 picture, 256 elements, each pixel 1/256th important.
64x64 -> 4096, and so on:
256x256 -> 65536
400x300 -> 120000
512x512 -> 262144

As the total number of pixels drops, so does the pixelliness rise. In my observation, 400x300 or 120000 pixels is about at the threshold between 'the individual pixel still signifies' and 'it doesn't really matter if that pixel's a bit out of place.'
Others might place the threshold lower, but the idea's the same; devaluation of currency(pixels) through excess supply :).

Anyway Helm sort of implicitly described a good heuristic too: Add a lone pixel to an existing picture. Can you make that pixel mean something in itself, without adding any other pixels? If not, the resolution may be too high to be pixelly.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #96 on: March 16, 2010, 07:19:55 pm
As the total number of pixels drops, so does the pixelliness rise. In my observation, 400x300 or 120000 pixels is about at the threshold between 'the individual pixel still signifies' and 'it doesn't really matter if that pixel's a bit out of place.'
Others might place the threshold lower, but the idea's the same; devaluation of currency(pixels) through excess supply :).

Anyway Helm sort of implicitly described a good heuristic too: Add a lone pixel to an existing picture. Can you make that pixel mean something in itself, without adding any other pixels? If not, the resolution may be too high to be pixelly.

doesn't that completely ignores the fact that different areas of the image will receive different eye attention and that a lone pixel may make the difference somewhere and remain unnoticed somewhere else ?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #97 on: March 16, 2010, 09:57:58 pm
Pypebros:
No, because it would then have satisfied the criteria I specified. It needn't have meaning individually in any particular place, as long as it has meaning in some place. (although I submit that the number of meaningful positions it could have also drops precipitously as resolution rises)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Devlin

• View Profile
    • The Wizard's Lair

Reply #98 on: March 16, 2010, 10:52:34 pm
Would it be possible also to get a PDF version of it also? I don't have internet at my place currently (I might not for a good few months either)
and it would be a good thing to have a guide accessible even offline :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #99 on: May 27, 2010, 10:20:51 pm
I'll be returning to this subject soon I think. This space reserved. (a reminder for me to post more than anything, really)