AuthorTopic: Ghost-like creature  (Read 6567 times)

Offline official-neosoft

• View Profile

Ghost-like creature

on: March 04, 2009, 04:56:52 pm

Just a little thing to practice losing pillow-shading, and just having some fun.
I'm going to update it everytime, so don't say things like add another shading color, because I will. Those edits of u will be not usefull, unless it's about editing this shadow layer.
So, is there any pillow shading, and are there some points where more shadow could be added, to make it more ghostlike?

I think I should make the edges of the tail somewhat rounder, right ???

No, I'm not making the ghost transparant.

Thank you :lol:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:58:32 pm by official-neosoft »

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Re: Ghost-like creature

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:58:29 pm
i think the pic is dead ^^; so, i guess it's an error in your link...

it's mean that i don't know what i can C&C when it have a "red cross of death" ^^;

nevermind... well, the idea of design is very interesting but i think you should shade a bit more under his head and on his belly. ha yes, play a bit with the dither for a better work. don't abuse the dither please, because it could ruin the quality of your pixel ^^;
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:04:13 pm by allaze-eroler »

Offline official-neosoft

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:59:35 pm
Wow, quick reply! I just placed it, and saw it wasn't posted right  ;)

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:05:13 pm
Wow, quick reply! I just placed it, and saw it wasn't posted right  ;)

it's because i just saw it and i was pointing it and when it's done, i was editing it XD

Offline official-neosoft

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:09:27 pm
There will be highlights, and I think I'm turning this creature in a ice-elemental, and later I'll be drawing a fire-elemental, also ghostlike. It's Art for my online game  ;)
I was carefull with the shading on the belly, cuz I don't want to pillow-shade again XD

Offline official-neosoft

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:20:10 pm
UPDATE:

Huge step in shading. Made another layer of shadow and some highlights. I'm very happy with the palette.
I dislike the shading on the tail. But I also dislike the tail, so I will edit that.

Any comments/critics?

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:41:09 pm
His outline is quite a bit jagged, mainly around the hands and bottom half. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad time to practice AA (Anti-Aliasing) if you haven't already.

Offline official-neosoft

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 07:46:33 pm
I haven't really done that no. I'll now delete those ugly jagged outlines, and practice some AA

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 07:48:00 pm
some inconsistent lighting going on, do not get distracted ;) There's too much light below the tail, and that full blown highlight on the head isn't very proper either.
Also I recommend an additional darker shade for the small details, it may also suit well on black that goes inside the graphic and is more than just an outline.
Other than that I recommend you work on a grey background, take a background colour that is relevant to your game tone for example. If all your game backgrounds are rather light, take a lighter grey, but never white. Extreme colours distort your perception on hue, saturaion and contrast (in this case, contrast)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:46 pm
Hi, I just want to mention that the hands of this thing llooks great, but the jagged outline ruined the whole thing, so I could'nt help my self doing it smoother.