AuthorTopic: Not so Cheesy Mockup [WIP]  (Read 9735 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Not so Cheesy Mockup [WIP]

on: March 04, 2009, 01:10:07 pm
Well, I've been watching some of the pixel videos on here, and reading some of the threads about Pro Motion, and decided to download the trial and give it a bash. Very glad that I did; it's excellent! I felt like doing a quick mockup, and I've had this idea in my head for a very long time to do a re-envision of one of my friends' games: The Cheese Factory Incident! So it felt like as good a time as any to have a go at it, here's what I've got:

Still very WIP-ish, but I'm getting alot of fun out of it. Also seems like a great opportunity to try to mimic Helm, st0ven & Nieborg all at once!  :o

Btw it's supposed to be a cave made of cheese?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:28:58 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Cheese Factory Redo Mockup [WIP]

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:07:39 pm
Yay, another convert!  ;D

Anyway, looking good so far, I hope you are using the Tile Map feature in PM6 :)

Does not look too cheesy tho, some holes do not cheese make.

Did you just upload an edited file or am I going bonkers?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:36:23 pm
Yeah I'm using the tilemap feature, though I keep turning off the Sync Mode and forget to turn it back on  :yell: Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying this app.

I did change the version of the image and some kind of OCD inside me didn't want to clutter the post or something  :crazy: Sorry, here's the old version: http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z212/gastrop0d/tcfi_08.png

I basically thought some holes, cracks and crumbliness would give it enough of a cheese vibe, but now I think I might have to think more carefully about it. Isn't cheese really slightly translucent? Hmm..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:39:02 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:49:46 pm
I guess it depends on what kind of cheese it is. Swiss cheese is quite smooth and rubbery, it doesn't really crumble at all. Judging by the holes I'm guess you were going for that? The crumbly cheeses have more mold in them, I believe. Cheese does become hard and translucent when it starts to dry out on the edges, so naturally worn areas could look like that... and then you could also have "man-made" carvings where you can see the serrated edge that cut it.

Are you going to just have cheese instead of dirt? Or would you consider stacking levels out of separate pieces of cheese?

EDIT: Swiss is actually very translucent. I did a quick google search and one of the first images I found has a beautiful example of lighting. Mmmmm...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:53:11 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:34:38 pm
I like it so far  :y:

I think you need to go easier on the floor tiles, its getting too dark at the bottom and it will sink into the background.

What's the big advantage of promotion vs something like photoshop?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:21:31 am
It has a Tilemap mode where same tiles get autoupdated. So if you work on tile 1 on one side of the map all other tile 1s get updated accordingly and so on.

Also Promotion is made specifically for pixelart and working with indexed images (unlike photoshop)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:02 am
@Ben2theEdge: thanks for the investigation! I'm actually not very much of a cheese eater at all, so these things are like some distant ritual to me. Looking at it now, the image in my head never really leant itself to the reality of cheese. I'm happy to shrug the concept off now as just `porous rocks' or something along those lines.

@EvilEye: the idea I had was actually to use darkness and lightness to define the sort of `game play tunnel' of the level. But when I pondered it more, the idea in my mind actually contrasts dark non-walkable foreground against a brighter background. Basically the orange parts of the platform you can walk on, and all the dark purply stuff you can jump through, so you can jump from a lower orange part up through purple onto a higher orange part above you, for example. So I kind of wanted the platforms to recede into the background, in that sense.

Also, the things I love about PM6 are:

- the tile map mode, as ptoing mentioned
- the fast sort operations you can perform on the palette, for instance I can sort by brightness, and then use the [ and ] bracket keys to jump up and down in brightness of my currently selected colour
- fast manipulation of the brush with shortcut keys, for instance I can select a circular brush and press Shift+H to double its size and H to halve its size
- the way you can set up ghost images of frames around the current frame you're editing in animation to see how the flow of the sprite is going through the animation
- the incredible variety of brush modes available, I'm especially interested in experimenting with Multishade, which lets you define ramps in the palette and then dodge/burn stuff where the colours go up or down in brightness exactly according to the ramps you've specified. Genius!

Check out the video tutorials they have, they basically go through a bunch of the features it has:
http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php?Documentation/Video+Tutorials

I'm a complete novice with the program and probably can't even begin to praise it fully. But I can see myself becoming much faster with this program than with, say, GraphicsGale (which is what I've been using for ages). I personally can't use photoshop for pixelling, it feels all clunky and cumbersome and I just end up getting frustrated with it.

Anyway, update:

Basically just a quick sketch of the backdrop. I haven't really done very many backdrops before, and when I have I've generally found myself struggling a fair bit, so I think I'll try to keep this one pretty simple on detail. Concept is essentially `giant wondrous cavern'. Here's the backdrop isolated (1st), and a version I was thinking about where there are more columns in the distant plane (2nd):

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z212/gastrop0d/tcfi_backdrop_02.png
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z212/gastrop0d/tcfi_backdrop_01.png

I'm thinking I prefer the second, but the first one has more of a subtle luminance to it. I don't know...

Thanks for the comments!

EDIT: Orrr something like this:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 03:12:42 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:52:15 pm
Either raise or lower the value of the whole BG to separate it from the foreground. Just a little bit will do. Currently it's pretty much equal all around. Look at the picture in grayscale and you'll see what i mean. If you're gonna use photoshop, DON'T use image -> grayscale, cause that conversion looks very off to me. I recall it's done right in ProMotion.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 06:59:54 am
I think greyscaling my work has to become a more common practice  :)

I've attempted to raise the overall value of the background by removing the darkest pillar and adding more negative space, which focuses the piece more on the background (which is lighter):

I think it's definitely helped:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 06:31:02 pm
Evil, you just convinced me to try PM6. I use PS and yes it does feel cumbersome. I try and fake the tools PM has with PS by using complicated adjustments layers/smart objects/effects but it's not efficient enough.

Your subterranean mockup uses really nice colors/lighting. One unusual thing I like about it is the subtle slant to the terrain/bg, it creates a dynamic sorta compelling sense of motion, I can't quite describe the effect.

Not sure what the story behind this one is; don't know why you're modeling the cave out of cheese. It simply doesn't look like cheese to me. The only elements that might be perceived as cheese are the circular indentions, but my eye tells me they're just features of the wierd underground rock. You need some obvious cheese clues, like a stack of triangular slices comprising a column or something. I can't really think of any decent visual clues to let the viewer know it's cheese, other than a lot of yellow color everywhere, but I see you're after a darker mood, which I agree with. How about some cheese grater or slicer statues in the bg.