AuthorTopic: My weapons  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Surein

• Les pieds sur Terre, la tête dans les nuages.
    • View Profile
    • Surein's Arts

My weapons

on: March 03, 2009, 06:15:39 pm
Hi every one,

first, excuse me for my bad english, I'll try to write correctly :-[

So, I have made for my website some weapon, and I have to tell than I'm proud of them :) but while I'm surfing on your board, I have the feeling than I could learn many thing of your competences ;)

That's why, I have decided to show you my last recent weapon ( build there are fews days ), if you have some tips to give me, I'll happy to progressed :)

Thank's a lot :)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: My weapons

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:34:39 pm
A general thing about watermarks first. Please do not use them. If people wanna steal your art they will find ways. Watermarks can be easily removed from pixelart. And in your case one could just copy paste pieces of the characters which do not have watermarks on them over the words. They also distract from looking at your art as it is intended to be seen.

Onto crits. The characterbases seem to be offbalance, esp the woman one, she is leaning to the front and/or her left quite a bit. It is also a bit hard to tell how the weapons would look on a normal character who is not a blue or pink doll thing.

You have a nice variety of weapons, some look better than others. The maces are quite nice but some stuff like the sword with the tiny spikes does not read too well and I reckon those little spikes would get partly lost against a clothed sprite and game background. Regarding visibility your colours could need a bit more contrast and some hueshifting (as in colours changing hue as they get darker and lighter. You already have a it a bit on some weapons, mainly on the metal bits, but your gold for example needs much more contrast and a bigger jump between dark and light to read as proper gold.

Keep on pushing those pixels and things will improve, you already have a good start.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: My weapons

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:42:07 pm
I really really like the axes. :D
And that bloody mace is just awesome. <3

But some of the swords perspective is off like #2 and #3 in the second row there.
Good work so far, and the site looks pretty decent it's a shame it's a french community..

Another thing is the handle is always the same size as the blade, it has to be since the handle is only a continuation of the blade with grip.
But they look good they don't have to be changed, but I thought I'd let you know that incase you didn't know for future reference.

As ptoing said it's hard to read most the last weapons in the forth row there