AuthorTopic: not-quite-finished KOS fighter fox  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

not-quite-finished KOS fighter fox

on: February 13, 2006, 12:25:16 pm
Alright. I've been messing with this for far too long. I can't tell what I'm doing anymore. So, I'm putting it up here for critique before I toss it in the KOS '06 thread. Essa vixen, with painted steel claws of doom.

Also, ALTERNATIVE COSTUME!!1 For some reason, this one's three pixels shorter, and has some color issues apparently... but it's just an alternative thingy anyway so I don't care.

Comments and critique of any kind are very welcomed. Especially the critique. I wanna get this finished as soon as possible.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: not-quite-finished KOS fighter fox

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 01:18:28 pm
I can't decide if it's cute or scary: it's got the big cute foxy head, but some scary-ass poisonous claws. And then the heels... i'm definitely scared :)

You've used a cel-shading on the whole character, i suggest you remove the dithering on the cheek to keep in style (and fighter sprites usually don't use dithering). Try a different outline color on the white parts of her body (head, tail). The arms and shoulders could probably have a bit more definition, perhaps indicate where the shoulder is by changing the shape of her sleeve.
The alternate version is nice too, i like the metal shading. The anatomy is a bit more towards the cartoon and less to a "aggressive" fighter, due to the short legs, but that's part of the style, i guess :). The part where her right leg meets the foot looks broken, try moving that small curve further up the leg (or removing it).

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:39:34 pm
Her arms are of different lengths... and just plain confuse me in general.  She's not wearing a shirt, but is wearing sleeves?  Her shoulders are very round and look false.  I don't understand the hands... or gloves?  They just look bulbs with things sticking out.  If they are claws, they would have to have fingers to stick out from.  Her stance is unbalanced, and it's especially noticable in the alternate costume.  Try moving her rear leg back more.

Technically, this isn't bad.  Most of your problems are with how the character is structured.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 07:11:20 am
Heh, thanks. The arms looked great until I decided to have her have the Claws of Doom on. Which are basically light-bulb shaped gloves with metal sticking out as if they were fingers. Or so I imagined them. I'm thinking about reverting back to just hands, but I wouldn't know what to do with them... I like claws...

And the legs thing. I realized that's why she's three pixels taller in the more finished, non-alternative version. I must've spotted some anatomical messyness and fixed that as I added the pants.

I'll try moving the rear leg back further. Thanks for pointing that out.