AuthorTopic: Avatars!  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

on: March 03, 2009, 03:32:12 am
..But not the Jad kind. XD

Trying to make a simple headshot avatar for a friend of mine, and hopefully three more when it's done.

Here's the reference:

I was trying to go with a monochrome palette. It was just good luck that I found a pic already like that, I guess. XD

Anyway, the issues I'm having:
-The face looks too man-like
-No idea where to go with the hair
-worst problem is probably the nose area, dunno how to fix it

Oh, and it's four colors. I'm considering adding pure black and/or white, though. Not sure if such a restricted palette is a good idea for such a novice. Thoughts?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Re: Avatars!

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:05 am
Eyes are too large, cheeks are also a little too puffy.. these two things alone will probably create much more likeness of the reference. Great start however :) Hair-wise you will probably want to give it overall lights and shadows and then selectively lighten prominent strands/groups of hair that catch more light, which you've already begun. It might also help too look at relative proportion, at this point you can see that from the angle we are seeing, the distance between the top of her head to just above the eyes is about the same as the distance between the top of her eyes to her chin, if you raise the sunglasses a few pixels it should look more correct.

Probably more I could comment on, but that's all I have time for now :) Good luck!

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:11:54 am
Hey Regulus, nice piece. You used only 4 colors impressively. I pecked at it a little, take from it what you will:

I feel the main issues are her left eye, and the nose. I think you made the shine on the nose too wide, and it makes it look like she has a very wide nose, and makes it look like it is angled differently then the rest of the face.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:15:37 am
Thanks, Joel! ;D Tried to follow your advice here..

Old --> New

I'm excited, it's actually starting to look like her! Long way to go, though.

@NaCl: You posted right before I did!  :P I'll see what I can work with from your edit tomorrow.

Things to definitely do:
-Resize nose highlight
-Shrink sunglasses, I think?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:17:10 am by Regulus Awesome »
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:25:07 am
Those subtle changes made a huge difference. You are well on your way with this piece :)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:45 am
Just a small crit.
Although essentially the pixels, in the eyes, between your piece and the references are very similar, the way she's looking are totally different. In your pixel version, she is looking off to the top-left, in the reference she is looking straight at the viewer/camera. I think it would do you well to show a bit of the white of the eye to the left of the pupils to clarify this.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:28 am
Don't take this the wrong way, but your friend has a boy-ish look to her face. Unless you deviate from the photo, the portrait will look a bit man-like no matter what, especially at a low resolution with few colors.

A few problems:

The nose you drew is hooked, hers is turned up.

The eyes are a bit too small ( though in my edit they are too big  :P )

The shape of the jaw and the cheeks are not rounded enough ( thus the masculine look )

Here's an edit:

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:07:13 am

Quick edit. Basically, the idea is to try and line up the features according to each other. For instance, the pupil generally lines up with the corners of the mouth. The inner part of the eye generally lines up with the corner of the nostril. Once you have found these correlations within your reference then it becomes a lot easier to draw a likeness.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:56:26 am
Whoa, that's a lot more help than I thought I'd get! Hope I can live up to your expectations.. xD

Old --> Current

Not sure if I covered everything that was addressed, but it's definitely better. Thanks!  ;D

I dunno if I should keep the dithering on the cheek, figured I'd get some second opinions first. :P

Also, anyone think I should add an extra color? Joshua's edit in particular was awesome, but he used 6 colors whereas I used 4. xP If a color or two can make that much of a difference, I'd certainly do it, but I don't want to add more if I can manage with 4. Thoughts?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 05:57:36 am
I think it looks quite good at it's size and amount of colours, but might benefit with another highlight like Joshua demonstrated. So you could get away with one extra colour for sure, and then see if it would benefit adding another one. Joshua really captured the eyes well which I think is important because it gives her face a feminine look, even though as EvilEye said her face isn't extremely feminine. But it's these subtleties that communicate to viewers that it is a female. (But to be fair, makeup is often what gives the strong female looks for a lot of girls.)