AuthorTopic: Template for character  (Read 16823 times)

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Template for character

on: March 01, 2009, 02:57:11 pm
This is my template of characters for my project game
I want to use a simply & clean style
(i can use only 3 frames for walk)

any advice/crits?

Offline Helmasaur King

• View Profile

Re: Template for character

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:56:47 pm
Very cool, its really nice.. but the massive forehead is kind of..weird. I dont like the huge head either.. but probably the style, shading looks alright, maybe some more contrast for the clothes

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:28:34 am
My edit:

I'm assuming this is for an RPG or something that is in top-down perspective, so I've tried to portray more of that effect, you should always want to keep your source of your light on the top, or else it'll look wonky, your side views obviously show that.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:08 pm
really cute ^_^
for the light,your have completely right,but i'm a newbie >-<
i want learn all the secret of pixel *-*

i try to improve my first character

(i made this improve before i've seen your post,next time i try to improve light effect for more semi-3D style)

Another edit:

use edit button plz
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:21:51 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:17:15 pm
Your character still has the perspective issue. He's currently standing as he would if he were in the perspective of a sidescroller.

Again, look at bengoshia's edit to get a feel for what the proper perspective is.

The body is foreshortened the lower it gets, and you can see much more of the top of the character's head.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:22:03 am
Another edit:

Perhaps you need some examples, here, look at these sprite sheets:
http://www.gsarchives.net/index2.php?category=all&system=snes&game=goof_troop&type=sprites&level0=non-animated&level1=goofy - Goofy from Goof Troop on the SNES.
http://www.kh2.co.uk/assets/com/sprites/001.png - Sora from Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories on the GBA.
http://tsgk.captainn.net/index.php?p=showsheets&t=sr&sr=214 - The Legend of Zelda
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:40:06 am by bengoshia »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 03:33:06 am
Might want to check those links, bengoshia.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:40:40 am
Might want to check those links, bengoshia.
Oh thank you, didn't even notice that, links fixed.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:03 am
I check those link,but the characters has a frontal perspective or no?

EDIT:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:45:13 am by Bhalzak »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:26:42 am
It looks a lot better already, but shading it different isn't going to change the perspective. You'll have to redraw it, or edit it heavily to get it to be in the right perspective.

The references weren't in the same perspective you need, however, they were not fully 'frontal' perspective, you can mainly tell by foot placement, and the way the body/torso is rotated.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:11:46 pm
"right perspective", well, I'll just pop in and try to not be the contradictory white-knight but actually voice an opinion: most RPGs have complete bullshit perspectives, where almost everything is viewed from an optimal angle. Faces are viewed from the front because that's how they look best, and with them the bodies. also walls for the best detail. Floors are generally viewed directly from above. The human brain is a fantastic thing that pieces things like these together anyway, even if it's not plausible.

I think it's got more life to it when it actually looks at the viewer, it just gives it more life when it's viewed from an angle you can align yourself with. I know it's weird.

Bengishia's edit looks more like a toy to me, the character turns into a tool rather than a character. Err. Hard to explain.

Well, I think what I'm saying is that what you've got now isn't really broken. It doesn't need fixing if you don't want to. Well, take it for what it is. I might be completely off the hook also. Let's hear it from some other pixelation members!
' _ '

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:35:04 pm
I'm inclined to agree with Jad. I think adding that particular shading has confused the readability of the character, as it tends to create a distracting horizontal line across the face, and recedes the face itself via darkness. The focus has shifted to looking at the forehead, which isn't really helpful for characterisation.

The body also reads poorly; it's hard to tell what's going on. Also seems to have a bit of pillow shading going on. Honestly I would borrow some from the Zelda techniques shown in one of bengoshia's links. Cut it down to just 2 shades and keep the focus on items that are important about the character. For example, with Link (from Zelda), the focus is pushed on his face and sword. To that end, it may be helpful for you to tell us a little more about this game and what purpose the character fills in it, so that we can better gauge what focus is appropriate.

Regardless of focus points, I believe the pose is far too stiff and lifeless. Granted, Link's sprite has a fairly similar pose, but note the use of asymmetry to add flow and interest to the character. You may want to consider expanding the character design to allow for similar opportunities.

Another thing you may want to consider is colour use. At the moment the sprite is dominated by the skin/tan colour, which flattens the piece and lowers the visual interest. Looking at the Link sprite can teach some more lessons in this respect, as there are flairs of blue, yellow and red in each pose. This also helps the player to quickly orient the character in space at a glance.

Summary: cut back to a couple of shades of a few hues, shade only to focus on key areas of the character, give each hue a relatively balanced presence, consider asymmetry for flow.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:16:49 am
Thx to All ^^
I've understand,and try to follow those advice!

Edit:
->
prepare myself to die XD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:56:49 am by Bhalzak »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:29:11 pm
That's an improvement, but here's the kind of thing I have in mind:

Asymmetrical pose, face given more flexibility for expression.  :)

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 04:31:40 pm
Little Edit

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:51:53 pm
The lower outline is way too harshly different from the above one. Otherwise it's looking better and better.