AuthorTopic: WIP Yeti - Need some help  (Read 6679 times)

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

WIP Yeti - Need some help

on: February 28, 2009, 11:41:08 pm
I know there are graphical errors everywhere, right now I'm just in my pixel sketching phase of it.  I'm trying to get the form of it...

I'm working on this yeti sprite, and I can't for the life of me seem to nail the side view.  I found it to help quite a bit if I stretch it out to make it more squat, but something still isn't right. 

Help?

Offline Helmasaur King

• View Profile

Re: WIP Yeti - Need some help

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:54:48 pm
Very cool, it looks good. But the side hair creases are way too blurry, or at least the one up front is. and  maybe don't smooth out the teeth as much, to give it a sharp look.

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:00:38 am
Almost everything is pretty blurry on the squished version, I simply took it and re-sized it in photoshop

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:38:13 am
So... I got really lazy.
Time went by, things kept getting in the way, and now it needs to be done.  Soon.  Here's what I turned out for the animation.
I'm wondering if the biggest problems I spot are worth going back and redoing. 
The front facing animation seems very thin.  And dark.
The side facing view is rather... pillowy and the chest seems to jut out too much.

Anything else? 

Also, there are probably small little blips and color artifacts here and there
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:48:30 am by thepezman »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:57:50 am
Neat, but the side view animation does not give the impression that you are looking down on the character at all. Except the back leg, which looks like its a mile away.

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:26:09 pm
Redo the head, then?  Do you think that would fix it?

Attack WIP

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:32:16 pm
I like this sprite. Head is static in both animations to the point it bugs me, and by "bugs me", I mean from a critical standpoint; seems like a discrepancy. I know you're in a rush, but my critique'n eyeballs don't care about that, although further animating the head with actual movement and not just tweens could be left out in order to expedite this project and not it hurt it too bad, just as real head movement would enhance. You could at least make his mouth move a little when stomping while walking or when swinging arms while attacking.

Is the red in his mouth gums or blood? It's unclear. If it's blood there should be some dripped on his fur, I'd think. I don't think the ambiguity is a good thing.

Do what you can to make the straight-on front and back angles look less mirrored - add a tuft of fur to only one side here and there, etc. Make each half unique, especially the head since it's already static.

I feel the profile doesn't have enough upward angle, too. Slice the body into cross-sections at all major features and rotate them 90 degress, then compress the whole stack vertically by the same factor that your sprites for this game are isometric. No, that's not an attempt to confuse you - I bet an edit would be necessary to illustrate what I mean. Too bad I'll probably never do it, due to time constraints. Maybe you could quickly mass some shapes together in 3D and move the camera to the right upward angle see how it looks.

You may have 1 or 2 redundant reds in yer palette.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:15:19 am by Mathias »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:39:10 pm
Redo the head, then?  Do you think that would fix it?

To me it looks like you will have to redo all of it. The least incorrect are the feet, but they still look like a side view.

The rest of the views look fairly correct, its that one that sticks out as badly off view-wise.

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07:51 am
Thanks for all that, Mathias.  You're right...I'll have to animate the head in the end.  When I look at it, it looks especially goofy and unacceptable in the attack animation... there, if nowhere else, it NEEDS more.  I'll probably turn to the walking as well and give fix it there, but the attack is a must.

The red in the mouth is from the gums.  I suppose some of it is a bit too bright and vibrant, isn't it?  I hadn't noticed

I think I get what you mean with the cross sections.  Your just telling me to splice it and translate it to the other views to start with a very basic "3d" wireframe done in 2d, right? 

I suppose I could try it.  I had my hand and working at it a little, but it's still... um... bad.  I'm not a fan of the side view at all.  I don't know if I just suck with it or I'm rushing too much (or both) but it still isn't turning out right.  I really do need to start from scratch with the side view, huh?   :(   I was hoping to salvage it and move along my merry way, but...

Well, here's the sketchy form of my edit.
Evileye...any improvement? 

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 04:17:56 am
To me he doesn't look like he's been put into perspective still, he just kind of looks smooshed. The perspective on his head is different than his body now as well unless hes got a sidepart in his hair.

In the attack animations it sees the 3/4 down animation is the only one which has anticipation to his action, I think it would look nice if all angles had this.

This is looking pretty sweet so far I look forward to seeing those attacking animations polished, and I especially like the 3/4 down walk cycle.