AuthorTopic: Character Class [WIP/sorta]  (Read 4742 times)

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Character Class [WIP/sorta]

on: February 27, 2009, 07:23:57 am
Hello all, I've just joined.  I'm really aiming towards improving what I can do in pixel art.

What I have down here is my latest sprite, I used a reference, not sure where though, sorry.  :(

But, it's aiming toward a greek-like feel.  What it's for is a game, having greek feel in the Character Class, mainly because I like how most paintings based on Greek Gods, have them muscular, and such.

(I know it's not as good as more than half the people here's drawings are, but, hey, at least I'm trying)

Critique please. ^^ Much appreciated.

There is NO lighting, for a reason.

This is just the preview sprite, like no light source, no depth, it's a straightforward sprite.  Not the in-game sprite.

~Joe

EDIT: [I'm actually going to give players the option to view their current armor in this state, as like an avatar, but I'm in much need of help in dithering and such, so if anyone could give me some tips on that, I'd love them forever.]

EDIT2: Wow, I've noticed some errors in the head, and underwear(Though I've noticed each error I've made before I posted this, they are both temporary, just thrown together to make sure it doesn't feel like a headless naked sprite sitting there.).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:48:32 pm by deziresoft »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Character Class [WIP/sorta]

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:05:09 pm
The shorts could use a good amount of contrast.
I must say I really like the chest, it's very nice actually, but the rest of the guy is... less so.

Feet, hands and heads aren't that great. I know greeks drew themselves with big eyes but I think those are still too big. Where will the eye brows go?
Is there a specific greek image you're basing this off of? I suggest you give us a link to it if possible.

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:15:48 pm
I actually used a large pixel art as a reference, I cannot find it.

The shorts aren't meant to be there, I just threw it together, what I'm actually doing is I'm going to create a like cloth to go over it, like a loin cloth.  I have actually 2 sprites I'm using, and programming the engine[which is still under development, with me the pixel artist and programmer XD]  So, the two sprites are that with the loin cloth, and without, the without has no detail in the pubic region because it's not gonna be visible. :P

But, thanks for the crit, and I'm gonna work on improving as soon as possible.  The head isn't really gonna be much visible, because I'm putting hair over it, 16 hair styles, and the top of the head is higher, due to the hair.

I honestly noticed the hands/feet and such, the feet are gonna have wrap over it as well as the hands, but, I'm not adding everything for now, I'm practicing dithering first. Then I'm gonna get in-depth with the detail as soon as possible. ^^

I'm gonna take some time to improve now.  Thanks.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:15:05 pm
You say you're practicing dithering- make sure you don't use it here (at least excessively). It looks good smooth, as far as I can tell.

The face suffers from the "baby" RPG sprite style that you see very often in games and customs. You should try and make the head feel more masculine then a circular shape. I as well like the chest, but I don't really like the legs. You might wanna look at some refs for the legs a bit more.

Anyways, nice work so far, seems you aren't a n00b. :D

Good luck!

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:26:24 pm

Anyways, nice work so far, seems you aren't a n00b. :D

Good luck!

Thanks! ^^

Dithering I'm practicing for armors and such, and gonna use it on the loin cloth, to show the fold better. But, yeah, haha.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:33:21 am
I'm still a novice when it comes to anatomy, but it seems to me that both his arms and legs should be about a head longer. The human body is usually 6.5 to 7 heads tall.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:17:14 am
Again, thanks for your input, I'll be working on an edit as soon as I can.

[Edit:

If it's not any trouble, might someone help me with the anatomy of the legs and feet? I've got trouble with them, and would love some help.  Much appreciated.]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:01:35 am by deziresoft »

Offline Dr. Kylstien

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:31:39 am
I'm still a novice when it comes to anatomy, but it seems to me that both his arms and legs should be about a head longer. The human body is usually 6.5 to 7 heads tall.

iirc, Ancient Greek art favored 8 heads.

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:14:30 am

iirc, Ancient Greek art favored 8 heads.

Thanks a lot for this post.  Really helpful, I honestly didn't know that.  ^^ All tips are welcome, and I'm doing excellent in the learning process.