AuthorTopic: [J.A.B] Journey of JAB the Video Game.... [pre sprite orientation ^_^]  (Read 8378 times)

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Here is a couple of sprites I would like you guys to view. Remember when criticizing these pieces just know that colors and choices were made for a reason and also there is a certain style; so any critiques staying true to the style would be awesome ^_^ if you know what i mean... if you don't then just comment away~ I love insights ^_~.

Here is a full set of animations for the main character of the game

Bosses [ not finished with the animations but here is what they look like to give you an idea ]

Mista Burger static and walking animation

Lastly here are some Misc. Baddies Items and TECH's who are characters you teach you new abilities ^_^ [none of these are final]

Thanks for looking, and any input or enhancements if you think you can enhance the sprite please by all means do so and post in this thread please ^_^

Have a great evening everyone!

~ Jason Andrew Buividas

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile
Posting the sprite sheets without seeing them animated really doesn't help us critique the animations.

The basic pixeling looks pretty tight though :y:

Can't comment on the animations until you post them animated.

Offline Fidsah

• Coder
    • View Profile
The kick looks like it needs a little work.

The animation has an exaggerated lead in to the kick itself, but then has no follow through or recovery.

Other than that, nothing else jumps out at me at the moment. Good work!

Edit:
Wandering borders are my fault for doing a very quick and dirty animation job.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:56:02 am by Fidsah »
while (!QUIT) {
       return 0;
} //What bug?

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile
He looks like a tough nerd.  I'd love to see this in a game.. I'd just.. wow, I'd laugh and love it at the same time.

Just, I hope that he's gonna be able to change out of those clothes into something else.. at least.. once?

Offline Fidsah

• Coder
    • View Profile

After reviewing a few more of the animations, it looks like there's some more things that need to be taken into consideration. His punch frames looks rather stiff and unmoving. A good, hard punch is going to have some upper body rotation, and will involve movement of both the shoulder and elbow, as well as through the hips and legs. Right now, it seems a little robotic, and half hearted on his effort.

For the run, the arms should alternate with the legs. Left leg forward, left arm back. Right leg forward, right arm back. Right now he seems a little awkward.

Other than looking a little stiff, I see nothing too out of place with the jump.

Nice little jazzy background music, and he's going with the flow!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:11:28 pm by Fidsah »
while (!QUIT) {
       return 0;
} //What bug?

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XRZ9N9LX

Thank you for the lovely insight, I will take all of that into consideration. ^_^ The only thing, and I know it's my fault for not gifting everything up, is
that you put the running animation in wrong. Here is a sample of the game so you can see the animations in motion! Ummm, the only thing you can really do in this demo is run by using the arrow keys, jump by pressing the [ up ] arrow, attack; doing a right and left punch combo you simply press [ Z ], and for the spinning back kick press the [ X ] key. Also note you can level up which will increase your damage, running speed, and jump strength, if you press the [~] key to toggle your status chart which will show you your current level, exp, A.P. (Attack Power) J.P. (Jump Power) R.P. (yeah you guessed it! Run Power ^_^) You can manually increase your exp by pressing the [ + ] key. Just keep tapping it and your exp will go up and up and up until you level. And you can view different levels by pressing 1 and 2, the second level is more of what the game will look when finished, with the shadows and everything. But also note there will be parallax scrolling. But I hope this enables you to give me some more crit or any ideas which I would love to hear. Thanks for all of the comments, and again I will take what has been written into consideration ^_^!!

Have a wonder weekend everyone!

~ Jason Andrew Buividas

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
I also fixed his running animation in that demo, I took your advice and changed the arms, I think there's a huge difference. Thanks for the crit! ^_^ but also he should bounce a little up and down when he moves, that's the only thing you didn't do when transferring the sprites to gift, but in the demo you can see that. which probably gave him that awkward feel and made him look like a robot running. lol But yeah, I fixed the arm rotation XD.

Oh, I am also aware of the bugs with the burger guys, not to worry I am currently flushing them out >:D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:54:04 am by Mistajaye »

Offline Fidsah

• Coder
    • View Profile
Yeah, when I created the gif of the running, I realized I had no clue where the bounce in the sprite was expected to be, so I just anchored the animation on the head, which let me focus more on the animation of the arms and legs. That's why I didn't comment on any of the vertical motions of the character, as I didn't have the exact motion it was expected to make during the course of the animation. It's good to see that you've changed the running to be more natural. Give me a bit to play with the demo, and I'll see if I can add anything.

Overall, I think you've done a great job with the art work.
while (!QUIT) {
       return 0;
} //What bug?

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
Again, thanks for your input ^_~, here is another version, just note the backgrounds are temps, but I added a jump kick I wanted crit; press up and [ x ]. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EVL1BWUY

Enjoy!

~Jason Andrew Buividas

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
hey, I made an update of the engine, adding some cool shadowing effects. It's not quite finished for the ground shadow, but the background shadow is fully working. I also added a Sweep Kick, and a Jump Kick, I would like crits on those animations if you find time. I also don't mind anyone editing my sprites if you think you can improve or enhance it. Thanks for your time ! enjoy! I look forward to your responses, so far so good ^_^ oh, here is a couple of in game shots , also remember to press [ 1 ] to transfer between frames, and here is a list of the controls for anyone who doesn't know them

movement = left and right arrow keys
jump = up arrow
kick = [ x ] key
punch = [ z ] key
crouch = down arrow
toggle exp screen = [ ~ ] key , or [ ` ] key

increase exp by 5 = [ + ] key

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=58M96OKK