AuthorTopic: R. Lichtenstein/comic-book style piece  (Read 8456 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

R. Lichtenstein/comic-book style piece

on: February 25, 2009, 03:26:19 pm
Hello people!
I'm doing pixelart revolving around a comic-book style of shading: I am trying to create colours by patterns of red, blue and green. It is hard and time-consuming, but nevertheless extremely interesting work, constantly discovering new patterns and therefore new colours and shades to draw with.
Anyway, I'm posting here for advice and comments on my work for now:

I've got problems with some patterns which don't blend in as well as others, and I really don't know how to solve it.
I'm also not quite sure whether I should keep the original lines of my previous work and create a series of different styles, or if this should be a new and original piece.

Original sketch:
doodle I did

Reminder: it's more interesting looking at my WIP a little less than a metre away. ;p
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: R. Lichtenstein/comic-book style piece

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:18:02 pm
I think you should know that this isn't how comic books were shaded. Even the old ones that look like that. That's just how they were printed. Nobody uses RGB for printed stuff. It just doesn't have the range of colors the CMYK has. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black.

Even though the line weight is a stylistic choice I still suggest you cut them down a bit.
I'll make you an edit after work.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:38:11 pm
Oh, yeah printing, sorry :s
I based my work on looking at some old comic, and I could see green, red, and blue. So I'm looking forward to that edit :)
Thanks a bunch for correcting me!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:40:11 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:53 pm
Chances are there might've been green red and blue. One of the advantages ink has over pixels is transparency. They can half-tone (overlap colors) while you can only place colors next to each other.
Here's my edit, I only played with lines and changed the palette to CMYK.

The guy on the left was the only one I touched the lines of. When I ink things I usually think of the lines as being stressed or not stressed. When they're stressed they're thinner, like a stretched elastic band. When they're not stressed they can get quite fat.

You'll need to find the right CMY but you can already see the shading on the skulls looks more black than purple-grey.

In Lichenstein's stuff you can see a lot of half toning. Maybe you want to emulate that and create a ring of secondary colors.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:36:00 am
It just doesn't have the range of colors the CMYK has. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black.
This is not the reason RGB isn't used for print. RGB isn't used for print because Red, Green and Blue are the primary colors of light. If you hadn't noticed, CMYK is the chromatic inversion of RGB, plus black. Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow are the primary colors of pigments.

PS: "Red, Yellow, Blue" is a lie.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:13:56 am
Just felt like pointing out:

both are valid. RGB are the primary colours of light, additive blending.

When using subtractive blending (pigments) RGB as previously said DO NOT have the range of colours the CMYK have. So that's valid too.

Also note that if you mix yellow and magenta you'll get red, cyan and magenta = blue (yes), yellow + cyan = green

so they basically produce each other within their different systems.

Anyways I'm too tired to speak coherently goodnight.
' _ '

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:03:54 am
Chances are there might've been green red and blue. One of the advantages ink has over pixels is transparency. They can half-tone (overlap colors) while you can only place colors next to each other.
Here's my edit, I only played with lines and changed the palette to CMYK.

The guy on the left was the only one I touched the lines of. When I ink things I usually think of the lines as being stressed or not stressed. When they're stressed they're thinner, like a stretched elastic band. When they're not stressed they can get quite fat.

You'll need to find the right CMY but you can already see the shading on the skulls looks more black than purple-grey.

In Lichenstein's stuff you can see a lot of half toning. Maybe you want to emulate that and create a ring of secondary colors.
Thanks a bunch for that!
So Jad, you're saying I could use RGB+CMYK? If that's it, I'll do a few changes... right now. Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:45:39 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:20:50 am
It looks very noisy, I think you should add black into the mix of colors. Not just a color you use but a color you shade with. Don't be afraid to use solid blocks of color either.

The black parts look very separate from the colors, try blending that just a little so it's not so... disconnected I guess.

Looking forward to some more updates.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:28:16 am
What I'm saying is that when YMC blends two-and-two they make RGB. So yeah, if you wanna simulate colour blending, why not.

When you blend all three you arrive upon black btw.
' _ '

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:30:50 pm
It looks very noisy, I think you should add black into the mix of colors. Not just a color you use but a color you shade with. Don't be afraid to use solid blocks of color either.

The black parts look very separate from the colors, try blending that just a little so it's not so... disconnected I guess.

Looking forward to some more updates.
Ah, I forgot to mention, my first refs were the comic-in-the-comic in Watchmen... the shipwrecked guy's story. Which explains my lack of block colour beforehand.
I just had quick look at a Lichtenstein ref, and there are block colours. I'll use them.
I think introducing block colours will make the black seem less detached.

->Jad: is what I did in my update alright then? Or should I get rid of RGB and keep YMC to then create patterns to simulate RGB?

Anyway, thank you both for your support!

I'll be restarting from scratch, it was starting to get hard to work over it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:55:08 pm by Chris2balls »