AuthorTopic: First Ditch Attempt  (Read 8883 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: First Ditch Attempt

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 11:10:25 pm
Dithering is used when you want a color you do not have, so you combine the two. It can also add texture. It doesn't always have to be strictly checkerboard either, it can be looser.

Your rocks have confusing shading, maybe try more geometric blocks? You can get a lot out of a single flat shade for a flat surface. Especially on rocks.  :)

I wouldn't really call what you have inherently flat, I'd just say that the depth isn't working as well as it could so it leads people to assume. You have many more values than cavestory or whatever.

Here's something Opacus did last year that your stuff reminded me of. You can look at how he did his rocks to get an idea of how you could shade yours.

Here's something rendered in 3d which could also help you out: Mainly with the forms

And of course, nothing beats the real thing so you can also look for stuff like cliff faces and rocks to get an idea of how you might want to represent them in your game for a more convincing look.

Welcome to pixel art, by the way. C:

And haha shrike posted while was looking for images.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:12:40 pm by Atnas »

Offline Masna

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:49 pm
Wow!   Thanks for all the help, everyone.  ;D   I'll go get started on that dithering, now.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:46 am
Found this made by Nieborg, perfect example of starting out with basic volumes and ending up with polished results:

Not the style your going for, but shows a really clear method of working.

Good Luck.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:20 pm
Super awesome question:

Why are you not using that darkest hue I see so clearly to help contrastify and further threedeealise your rocks? Hmm? HMM?

Okay that was three questions, but two weren't nearly as awesome as the first, despite gratuitous use of the shift key.