AuthorTopic: not a fad-atar a JAD-atar  (Read 7253 times)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Re: not a fad-atar a JAD-atar

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 12:03:59 pm
i might need some tutorials on sub pixels please. thank you.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 01:54:09 pm

I got no idea about lighting jellies, but these things are probably important:
-thicker outlines.
-the same colours used to aa hilights as used everywhere else.
-different hues for hilights and shadows.

animating the heart, try drawing it once, copying it somewhere, then erasing it and trying to draw the same heart in the same spot. do that a bunch of times to get a bunch of frames that are rendered the same way but aren't all edits of the previous frame. (Jad's heart doesn't really pivot, it just sort of jitters in place.)

On lighting, maybe look at one of them manga tutorials specifically about how to colour eyes, or jewels.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:12:11 pm by tocky »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 02:10:42 pm
i might need some tutorials on sub pixels please. thank you.

Essentially. Subpixel animation is moving something less than a pixel in distance. That's impossible. But if you use a midtone between the part you are moving and its surroundings it appears as if you are moving it less than a pixel. The reason for this is that the fully "opaque" original tone appears bigger than the midtone, or "transparent" tone when compared. You use the intensity of the tone to convey size, even though the actual size is the same.

Look at Jads again now, but look at how his mouth (especially) loses opacity as it shifts.

Here's a pretty bad sprite I made last summer, but it has sub-pixel animation. Granted, it wasn't very possible with my color selection, but if you were to take away the buffer above and below the eyes on the frames they move, the jumping of the eyes would have been noticeably harsher.

Edit: asdf such an idiot only idiots overlook the search function :c

here's a nice examply by ptoing:

(gleaned from topic aforeposted image was in): an easier way to put it is subpixel=aa meant to ease, really it's that simple!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:20:04 pm by Atnas »

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 04:13:46 pm
tocky's edit is a good idea - add more interesting colors and a bigger highlight. jello's pretty reflective  :y:
your outline also needs to be thicker and use more AA inwards, as tocky said

the other problem is that it's halfway between mine and his shapewise - it's shaped like a cube on the outside, but it isn't shaded likewise on the inside. the inside just conveys a blob. so, you need to make up your mind on that. either make it more round in shape, or add edges.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:39:06 am
wow people love me =) just came back from school today.

i think i have covered most of the ponts, except alkalines comment:
the other problem is that it's halfway between mine and his shapewise - it's shaped like a cube on the outside, but it isn't shaded likewise on the inside. the inside just conveys a blob. so, you need to make up your mind on that. either make it more round in shape, or add edges.

i dont understand what you mean completely, do you mean change the shade? not sure

i tried the sub pixelling, and i think looks more effective in x2 zoom

edit - god knowes why theres that white line edit 2- i should ad alk-atar too
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:43:58 am by balls01 »

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 05:21:25 pm
I'm assuming you want him to look kind of like gelatin. He doesn't seem translucent enough.
Here I found some references for you for how light passes through jell-o.

2. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2218217742_a341b551f1.jpg?v=0
3. http://z.about.com/d/homecooking/1/0/g/9/1/gelatin1x.jpg

Since your guy is a square its edges are more defined so you should be able to see the definition through his body for each edge, even if its just slightly visible. In the first image you can see how the light shines brightly on the top creating a hot highlight and still shines through to the bottom but as it gets deeper it dissipates. It's kind of hard to get the grasp of and even I'm still learning it too but hopefully this helps you out a bit.