AuthorTopic: My Avy  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

My Avy

on: July 19, 2005, 06:32:28 pm
My avatar.  I like it but I see a lot of problems in it I’m unsure of on how to fix them.  His right foot doesn’t seem right; his gun is odd, and his skin.  I can't get right looking flesh tones.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3298/newshadinpng1lm.png
Here's a link if you want one.  I'm not sure why you would though.

C+C welcome on things other than items I mentioned aswell.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 06:36:41 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline DarkSword

• Shablov is coming.
    • View Profile

Re: My Avy

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 07:06:16 pm
I really like the stance and viewpoint. The hand positions appear to be well-formed.

There are two glaring problems here. The first is the shading of the green areas. You only used to tones of green, and that's fine, but if you're only going to use two tones, you should probably consider using your lighter tone more often. As it is, his legs look a bit flat because of this. ]

The second is a perspective problem. This image is 3/4 overhead (I think. I can never remember the names of these things), so things on the ground should appear smaller than things a yard and a half in the air. His right boot, and the rest of his lower right leg, seems to be disproportionately large compared to his hands. 1 pixel smaller in both dimensions would probably suffice.

The lineart here is very well executed. Your cousins and immediate relatives ought to be proud of you. should be proud of you.
There cannot be unanimity without dissent.

- Georgia K. Hortanane

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 08:40:30 pm
I was never much of a shader so I tried to do something a little different on the legs, like how you really good artist draw clothing, yet apparently I can't quite do it yet.  I'm not sure what you mean by the perspective problem.  Also I'm not quite sure wether to take that final comment as sarcastic, insulting, or a compliment.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline DarkSword

• Shablov is coming.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 08:49:51 pm
Nah. That's just me being silly as usual :)

By the perspective thing, I mean that because the "camera" is above the person, the person's lower extremities ought to be smaller. This is also called foreshortening.

look at this image. Notice how the feet are smaller than the hands. This is a product of foreshortening. Because the feet are farther away from the camera than the hands, they appear smaller on the screen.

As for the shading, That isn't so hard to fix. Give your darker shade a blue tint first of all. As things receive less light, they become more blue. Then, try using an even darker color for the underside of the left and right legs. That will help bring you closer to a 3-d effect. :D

- Georgia K. Hortanane

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 09:11:01 pm
I did a little quick edit before I saw your 2nd post.  I fixed some of my colors because i noticed they didn't seem to dither too well together.

I also tried fixing the leg shading like you said.  As for the perspective, er, hes a soldier, hes got meaty legs?  Darn, not gonna cut it is it?  I'll try and fix it.

If that wasn't a photo I would have cried.

EDIT: Did a little test on the meaty leg. 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 09:12:48 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline DarkSword

• Shablov is coming.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 12:09:20 am
That looks much better.  :)

Again, you might want to add a little blue to the dark green.

- Georgia K. Hortanane

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 03:53:58 am
The next thing you'll want to do is shift the hues on your highlights and shadows. As a general rule, highlight hues should move towards yellow, while shadow hues move towards purple. This is more reflective of how lighting on real objects looks, albeit simplified to a great extent.

Also, his hip area is a little hard to make out still. I think it could help if you flat shaded his left leg with your darkest green, which should  make it clearer where the hip ends, and the leg begins.

Last thing that I would suggest is adding another highlight to the helmet. Right now, there isn't much that tells me that the helmet isn't made from the same material as his pants which brings down the piece.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 04:36:25 am
the yellow -> blue will work as a general rule, although it is only a simplified model of natural outdoor lighting. in theory, the shadows will take on a tinge of the opposing colour to the light... so if the light was blue, the shadows would appear yellowish.  Another reason for the yellowish highlights (or not) is the fact that warm colors advance towards the viewer, whilst cool colors recede, so blue shadowing would work well for a isometricky view, pushing the shadowed blue areas below the warm highlights.
Remember some artificial lighting actually casts a fairly harsh bluish light, such as fluroescent lighting.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 05:21:21 am
I tried, I just don't think I did what you wanted me to do.  I added blue to the darker colors and yellow to the lighter ones.  I think...  The left is the less changed.  The right was a larger color jump.

Also crab he isnt wearing a helmet its a hat.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 10:08:49 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 10:47:30 pm
I just thought I'd comment on the oldest one left.....well this hasn't been commented on for the longest. I do like the army dude tho.
Japan + Canada = Japanada