AuthorTopic: help with this palette  (Read 13600 times)

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Re: help with this palette

Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 01:20:51 am
i've been at it for three years, now much more patients do i  need?
i'm a very patient person but when something jsut doesn't happen over that period of time i can't help but be annoyed.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 02:02:30 am
to get really good at something, anything? takes about a decade. don't worry about it. Just keep making things.

We've sort of dodged the question, "how can I learn to colour like Fool or Buloght", which deserves some answer, but I'm not really qualified to provide it.

Lollige's interview with Ilkke hits some similar themes. (I'm hoping it's okay to repost this section.)

Quote from: ilkke
As for color conservation, there are a number of methods. Sometimes you want to lessen the gap between the indexes so you can just lower the contrast of the entire picture, like on that giant mushroom thing. Sometimes you just get lucky, like with that disco dimension pic. I use color intuitively and mainly based off the atmosphere I want to get, so I guess I'm not that advanced in that department.

My favorite color conservation trick is global hue shift, which is really a great practice even when you don't want to save colors. Just consider that light and darkness have their own color, instead of being black and white. Let's say that darkness is brownish, and that the light is yellow, for example. Then whatever colors you have in between will darken and brighten towards these two colors, and you'll be able to reuse several of the darkest and brightest indexes no matter what color ramp they are in. This looks much better than having separate colors for every ramp, and it also uses less colors. On the mushroom pic, for example, there is only one green.

he's referring to this picture and this one.

I'll post something more about hue shift, I think. It's fair to add that people rarely use master palletes like the ones I posted, anymore - I posted them more as examples for the kinds of colours you'd get on an old system. But also, those times that I have used one I've found the restriction useful rather than damning. It is a worthy excercise, forces you to learn how to use your colours and how they relate to one another.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:09:49 am by tocky »

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 06:01:46 am
here is something i have tried to continue with i accidently swaped the colors around on the background so its back to front. and you can see my spikes and character as i wanted it to be an alien. but as you can see it is to small and doesn't really catch your attention at all. so if you guys wish to help me out a bit then please do, this was like 2 hours of work. and i've been trying to fix my problem for like an additional hour but faiiled miserably.

also my spikes don't fit in with the style i know! but i can't improve it any more and i make it to fit the style.

so if you guys want to help me some more feel free to other wise i guess its some long hours hoping what ever i do actually works.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 06:12:12 am
I think the reason that the spikes don't fit in with the rest is that everything else has a bold outline, and looks almost cel shaded. The spikes are a little more uh.. intense? xD I dunno what else to call it. Also, they look more like trees to me. :B Maybe ditch the dithering?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 06:23:27 am
thats the thing, if i get rid of the outline and dithering then it just looks shit.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 10:30:13 am
If the spikes are meant to be a hazard, and the green guy is the player, then you might want to make the spike narrower. As is they look more like they would make an uncomfortable seat rather than a threat of impalation (that even a word?), nevermind impalement. If they are narrower you may also find them easier to shade without the dither.

Their colour is also confusing, until I read the text I thought they were the tops of trees in the background (the dither doesn't help in this regard either). Consider what material they are, standard metal death-spikes, woody thorns, whatever, then colour and shade accordingly.

In regards to palette, I'd recommend you not start with a premade palette unless for some reason you must, but pick colours as you go, using existing ones where you can and creating new ones as you must, then performing a consolidation pass at the end.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: February 21, 2009, 10:49:41 am
i posted the spikes here because i new what the problem was already i just couldn't fix it...

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #37 on: February 21, 2009, 12:05:37 pm
Here's a very simple example of some metallic spikes:

Tried grabbing the colours from the EGA global palette and they're a bit iffy.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 01:59:56 pm
you can use what ever colors you want, yyou don't have to keep to the palette. i haven't been i was just using it as a rough guide. also thanks for the attempt on the spikes but i shaded mine the way i did because it helped bit in the style more then when i tried finer lines like you did. olus i feel they are to smally. the charaxcter is going to be bigger. it will be approx 40-45 pixels in height when i fix up my character. so yeah.

hopefully this will help you guys, to help me.

Offline Fidsah

• Coder
    • View Profile

Re:

Reply #39 on: February 25, 2009, 01:56:46 am
One thing you might want to consider if you're trying to give this a true game feel and style is to pick a tile size. 16x16 per tile might help you get a good feel for size and detail. It will also help you scale things easier. If, for example, your character is two tiles high, then the spikes could also be two tiles high to make them as large as he is, or one tile high, to make them half his size. If you want tall, but narrow spikes, you could have spikes that are two tiles high, and two to each tile.

I personally find that when working with a known tile size, using a grid set to that specific setting helps me keep in mind how much space I have to work with, and helps me scale things to each other much easier.
while (!QUIT) {
       return 0;
} //What bug?