AuthorTopic: help with this palette  (Read 13597 times)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: help with this palette

Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 06:47:15 am
I suggest a greener sky colour (to compliment the orange foreground stuff), and that you limit yourself to four colours per tile for the backgrounds (because it gives a more neslike look and, incidentally, because it forces you to unify your palletes, here I've used the same brown for dark red as dark orange - it helps it all look selfsimilar, like it belongs in the same space). Everything else is just nitpickery, pixel placement - I could nitpick this sort of stuff for ages - but I think that what you have is pretty attractive. Keep adding stuff.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:52:51 am by tocky »

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 07:07:21 am
what do you mean make a greener sky color? i used the palette you gave me...and i picked the only two that i felt actually worked, well together for the sky.

ahh welli haven't done half bad so far...

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 07:46:00 am
You're using EGA colours? okay:

this map is four different ways of displaying the same 64 colours.

sorted roughly for hue, luminance and saturation.

this is pretty similar to the previous one, just a sort of skeletal display of the same data, to show the most obvious ramps.

these are colour cube slices, which are harder to explain... basically it's a map of how much red, green and blue makes up each colour. the second one is more or less a flipped and rotated version of the same cube, to show some different ramps.

I've picked out the sky colours you're using, in white. You can see how - using each map, you could find a slightly greener shade for these colours, right?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:09:23 am by tocky »

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 08:13:53 am
ohh is ee. so the rectangle on the top shows them all listed by color. and thye one on the right shows more color values on one of the above rectangles?

and then one down the bottom shows then listed in colors so we can shaw in what ever direction i want to go. but for what one of the above rectanges does it show both of them?

i'm sorry if this is seeming a bit repedative i'm just having trouble getting my head around it

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 08:15:36 am
okay, edited my previous post to clarify that stuff a little.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:29:46 am by tocky »

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 10:59:07 am
look at this image below, look at how they use there colors to show what is in the distance. hence being a background. and everything is so obvious you can see the background and the ground and the character.

image: http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/winter1.gif

also look at this image this is another one i found which shows this pretty well.

image2: http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/rock.gif

and yet another...
image3: http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/adventureroom.gif

this is what i'm trying to achieve but all these attepmts aren't coming close...do you guys thing you can lend me some more help to get this right. and sorry again for all the trouble.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:08:42 am by x-death »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 10:24:11 pm
This might not be the best advice, but I don't usually use premade palettes, I just pick a color that's close to what I want, and keep going with it, after I'm done, I do a little adjusting with colors as necessary.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 10:39:47 pm
i also feel the same way as Dr D, i feel it restricts me and i can never really just get it right. i also feel about premade palette's that they never work out, i always find a redundant color somewhere.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 09:02:00 am
i feel the same way, but i just suck at sseperating everything from everything else.
that is why i asked for premade, but even that is causing me problems. maybe me and good art just weren't suppose to happen...ahh well at least nobody can't say i haven't tried. lol i have been trying to achieve this and great quality for about 3 years now.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:05 pm
Most people aren't just naturally good artists, it's something you have to work on, and you'll only get better through practice, so if you want to get better, don't give up. It's these kind of issues and challenges, and learning from our mistakes that helps us get better.