AuthorTopic: help with this palette  (Read 13598 times)

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Re: help with this palette

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 10:43:38 am
yeah withtat last palette posted up its really good but my ony problem left like i said before i using them together distinguish the background from character and other things i make like the ground.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 01:30:48 pm
show us what you have.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 01:42:47 pm
i deleted it because it looked like it was apart of the same image. unless i use visible black lines everything looks joined.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 02:14:06 pm
I think  you might have the concept a little mixed up. There isn't some miraculous palette configuration that will separate your sprites from your background. You need to employ art technique in order to make that separation happen. Take a look at what tocky posted:

I feel like I'm kind of flooding you with vaguely related information, you gotta post what you've drawn if you want more specific criticism.

There are all kind of ways to do contrast, like using warm colours (reds, oranges, yellows) against cool colours (greens, blues, purples) or using saturated colours against grayer ones, or varying the level of detail. In the real world, stuff is usually bluer, duller and less detailed if seen from a distance.

from arne's drawing tutorial: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

All of this stuff is useful in game art, but you can see how it works, for example, in the splash screens for cpc games above - the warm and cool colours, desaturation, value, edge direction. It takes a while to pick this stuff up. Platformers aren't any different, it's just kind of harder because stuff has to tile. Post what you've got, though, you'll get better help.

The most important thing your palette needs to have is value coverage. Then hue coverage. I mean, ultimately it's possible to make a black & white game where sprites are separated from bg because there's value-difference between palette entries. This is the biggest problem with your palette at the moment: there's no real steps from dark up to light, and thus, you have very limitted capacity to separate elements from each other because you've lost your most powerful separation tool: value contrast. In other words, you need value-coverage, not saturation coverage.

Both c64 and arne's palette tackle these concerns very admirably. I'd take a little time to look at those palettes and look at artwork made with those palettes to see how people go about achieving sprite-popping.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 02:21:23 pm
ok well could you guys provide an example for me using the palette ont he right that tocky made. post the palette with example so i know what one you used, because there is so many of them there.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:52:04 pm
At this point I'm pretty sure that this is some bizarre game that x-death has crafted, to see how much response he can get without posting anything of substance.

x: that's not how it works. we can't (or shouldn't) help you if you're not going to post anything. There's plenty of examples for how to do this stuff, in this thread and throughout the forum. If all else fails you can pull apart a screenshot from an actual game where you like the graphics. Why not check out the star ocean critique thread? There's plenty of examples there. But you're not going to learn it without making anything, and we can't give you helpful critique unless we can see what you can do.

To reiterate: everything you should need is already posted. It's not really fair to ask people to make you stuff, because you haven't indicated that you're taking in anything that's been posted so far. Observation is an essential skill for artists (and creative people of all kinds) to use and develop. It's not enough simply to appreciate what's posted, you have to try to understand how it works.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:48:04 am by tocky »

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 04:53:24 am
well this is the best i've gotten. i suck at making charcaters i just can't do them. and backgrounds i'm even worse at. but here is something to give you an idea of were i'm at.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 04:55:49 am
Well, if you want to get good at backgrounds or characters, the best thing to do is practice, right? And if nothing seems to be working, that's what this place is for.  :)

Don't give up on yourself before you've even started!

/cliche
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 05:04:04 am
Unfortunately I don't think a good palette is your biggest problem right now.

What you've drawn there seems stylistic or far from realistic and it's hard to know where you want to go with this. The red stuff resembles grass, but it's growing down instead of up, and, well, isn't colored like real grass. The yellow ground, is just that, yellow ground, I can't make anything more of it.

Clarify what you intend to create, and that might help us help you more.

For now I'd say just practice, a good palette to just gran and use for practicing is Arne's palette, and it doesn't have too many colors, so color management is necessary, and you will improve a load.
And, I've learned a lot just reading these forums all day, I've hardly ever pixelled or drew anything.. Yet I can safely distinguish between most rights and wrongs. So just keep practicing and studying.

Quote from: tocky
At this point I'm pretty sure that this is some bizarre game that x-death has crafted, to see how much response he can get without posting anything of substance.

Looks like you were right.  :D

-EDIT- You know, this might not be so bad, there are few successful games with similar art styles.. But, your mockup/screenshot wouldn't convince me that it is.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 05:09:57 am
well by this point i would think it was obvious i'm no professional artist but i do try.

this tileset is ment for more of a wasteland level, hence why the grass is red. and my style for this game i wanted more of a yoshi island kind of feel or one of those really styleized games were the graphics sure aren't perfect but they still manage top look awesome never the less.

that is what i was going for.