AuthorTopic: platformer sprites and animation dump  (Read 23808 times)

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Re: platformer sprites and animation dump

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:03 pm
o snap those edits are sweet! I didn't think going even darker for the inner foreground tiles would work out but that looks pretty cool! Im going to try that out.....

For the mockups, I just have tiles already laid, edit the tile set around and then test the game to see how it looks in the room. For the techno tiles, honestly I don't really know what im doing with them! I just did sort of random patterns and tried to piece em together as walls, I never really did tiles of that genre before. Ill try and make some more interesting ones.

For the pixel blurring, I guess it means I'll have to make the game change the resolution before play.... Someone PMed me a solution about drawing the whole screen on a separate surface, stretching this surface cleanly and then drawing it, but I don't know how I'd handle game maker's tiles system with this, it seems like it woud be lots of trouble to work with...

(edit) Cow: hooo I figured scaling all sprites up would have given the same problems........interestins.....
shlong

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 02:48:53 am
Added some yellows and oranges to the techno tiles, and tried to follow the advice.
Here's a quick room that uses all of them:  (Edit: whoops, nope, I forgot some of them)

I might add like, machines in the walls to break the repetition further, instead of just machine-ey surfaces.

I haven't changed the techno dark background and the cavern tiles yet though, those are next.

the new tile set:

the square floor tiles are a little lame, im changing them right now. The ones the alien is standing on.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:56:29 am by Frankiesmileshow »
shlong

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 04:42:34 am
Another way I've heard is drawing everything to a surface and upscaling the surface, though I've never actually tried this.
I just did this like five minutes ago for the first time. I'd tried it before but was way overcomplicating things so it didn't work out too well. I get a little more about surfaces now and get it better: you just have an object somewhere in the room that, in the step event, redraws the screen to a surface, and then in the draw event, draws the surface at 2x. It's alot simpler than it seems.

As for the graphics, they're looking great. I really love the way the cave is coming along.
One thing that bothered me since I first saw this thread though is how slow the explosion is. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's awesome, yeah. But seems like it lasts a bit too long, unless you intend on speeding it up in-game.

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:26:44 am
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Awesome, really awesome, but doesn't match the speed of the other animations.

Anyway, you've got some great stuff there.  You've got a nice bright/cartoony style there and it looks really neat.

-Lunar

Offline Wasp2100

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 09:16:27 pm
C'mon guys keep this goin!
oh, um how to i tell the animation to go in order while running? (i'm a noob.)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 02:36:27 am
You'd best leave thread reviving to the original poster, Wasp. Frankie will update when he's good and ready.

Since you're new here, there's a thread with some links to informative pixel art stuff over here in this section(tutorials and stuff like that)
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?board=9.0

Welcome to Pixelation. Enjoy the show and have a good look around.