AuthorTopic: help on 4 frame walkcycle  (Read 8002 times)

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Re: help on 4 frame walkcycle

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 08:15:21 am
got a great edit over at AGS forums and after studying and doing mostly the same things, this is what i have:

still gotta change the colors a bit i think and move a few pixels but i'm outta time

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 08:19:55 am
Congrats on making a 32x32 overhead sprite, it looks good.

I like how the flash is, but it looks like the side of his face lit up... Why? XD Shouldn't the front?

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 08:27:50 am
hah, i guess you're right, it does light too much to the side. will change that, thanks

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 12:29:42 pm
i still think that you havent taken into account lazy cow's points, which i think you should. Speeking of it, why is he looking at the sky?

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 11:43:52 am
i still think that you havent taken into account lazy cow's points, which i think you should. Speeking of it, why is he looking at the sky?

Well as i said before, making the head one pixel wider is not working because the eyes are too far apart. i tried making the body smaller but that's not that great either so i decided to keep it as it is seeing as other people didn't have a problem with it(including myself). Also, i know the head moving is a bit too much but without it it looks too stiff i think

About looking upwards, i think i improved that from the original sprite a bit but anything else i tried ends up with loosing a lot of detail from the face and i'd rather have that than a 100% correct sprite

EDIT:
new version -

-made the lightest green more yellow

-tried to change the lighting on the head a bit, make it more from the front

UPDATE:

how's the transition between the poses?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:46:06 pm by xbogx »

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 08:16:40 am
Does there really have to be a transition animation? Actually, it looks like he is standing on an ice surface and something is turning him. So if you do a transition, I would say that he should just move his leg into the front. (in the air, like a walking step, not sliding on the ground) Not sure what's up with his right leg, it is barely visible under the gun.

The lights in the fire animation give a nice contrast. (A bit more contrast on the standard frames would be nice, too!)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:21:18 am by Lazycow »
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 08:43:43 am
Hi xbogx :)
Are you using any reference for your sprite and animation?

I'm working on something similar, top down view and all, but I'm having problem visualizing and couldn't get enough reference since I don't know much top down shooter to begin with. I googled for Chaos Engine, but couldn't get the rip sprite either.

Hope I can get some reference of recommendation from you :)

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 10:28:21 am
Does there really have to be a transition animation? Actually, it looks like he is standing on an ice surface and something is turning him. So if you do a transition, I would say that he should just move his leg into the front. (in the air, like a walking step, not sliding on the ground)

now that you mention it, it does look like he's sliding on ice, i'm going to try what you said, moving the leg in front

this is what it looks like without the transition frame:

Not sure what's up with his right leg, it is barely visible under the gun.

i don't really know what to say, it looks right to me, if i show any more of it the pose gets weird

The lights in the fire animation give a nice contrast. (A bit more contrast on the standard frames would be nice, too!)

yeah, i intend to work some more on the colors once i get all the animations right

Quote from: Tobe
link=topic=7982.msg92196#msg92196 date=1236415423
Hi xbogx :)
Are you using any reference for your sprite and animation?

I'm working on something similar, top down view and all, but I'm having problem visualizing and couldn't get enough reference since I don't know much top down shooter to begin with. I googled for Chaos Engine, but couldn't get the rip sprite either.

Hope I can get some reference of recommendation from you :)

check this out:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22404&highlight=chaos+engine
some people have posted sprite sheets there. also, get the game if you haven't yet, it's pretty fun to play. there's a dos version that you can play with dosbox and a snes version called soldiers of fortune. i couldn't get the amiga version running.

also there's an arcade game called shock troopers that kinda uses the same perspective from what i remember, you can play that using mame. if you want a 100% top-down perspective you can look at alien breed. Also, maybe check out some warcraft 2 sprites