AuthorTopic: Face Attempt  (Read 6776 times)

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Face Attempt

on: February 13, 2009, 01:37:48 am
Heya guys, been a long time since I've been here.. and this is the best place I know of to get great crits, so I've returned. (not that you care  :crazy:)

Anyways, I'm trying my best to create a portrait, I'm not sure if I'll ever use it.. but I really just want to try it out for the hell of it. (it's kinda fun actually  :y:)

Anyways, here he/she is.

I'm having trouble with shading.. and the whole structure seems wrong to me. So, yeah. Crits please.

As a note, I got my inspiration from zeid's pixel face.. though I'm having some trouble finding the link to it.. sorry.

Offline Streety

• View Profile

Re: Face Attempt

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:44:31 am
Well, right off the bat your ear is a little awkwardly shaped. I'd draw up a representation if I had the time to, try to shrink the lobe of it (which is the bottom part) and shape it up a bit.

Try looking at some images for some ideas on how, try google, etc. ::)

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:51:20 am
Thanks for post.
Yeah, I probably should have changed the ear.. I forgot to mention this started as a sketch for a monster, oh well. I'll make sure to fix the ear tomorrow.

Offline Streety

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:55:22 am
You might try to move it back on the head a little bit too. Just a thought, I haven't tried it in action yet.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:42:29 am
How is this relevant to the forum? There isn't anything pixelart about it as far as i can see. ???

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 07:05:56 am
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/37966.htm

Is the only portrait I know about from Zeid?
Also do you intend to use a brush of that size all the time and are you going to cell shade it?
I think this should be allot smaller personaly brod.

Edit:

You seem to be shell shading at the mome. maybe something on the lines of this? also add another light tone other than white so that you can get more from this.
I'm not sure if your intentions are animé, but I dont' like the nose.

I also think that you would do with some good references. The huge ear is....huge  :lol: And not very nice, I'm not even sure why you even use that huge outline, but hey I'm not one to moan.

Cya dude
Hope you get something from this minor edit
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:32:30 pm by Jim16 »

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:52:01 am
How is this relevant to the forum? There isn't anything pixelart about it as far as i can see. ???
Err.. I made it in paint with a 4px brush size. So if I'm not mistaken that counts as pixel art. o.o

Is the only portrait I know about from Zeid?
Also do you intend to use a brush of that size all the time and are you going to cell shade it?
I think this should be allot smaller personaly brod.

Edit:

You seem to be shell shading at the mome. maybe something on the lines of this? also add another light tone other than white so that you can get more from this.
I'm not sure if your intentions are animé, but I dont' like the nose.

I also think that you would do with some good references. The huge ear is....huge  :lol: And not very nice, I'm not even sure why you even use that huge outline, but hey I'm not one to moan.

Cya dude
Hope you get something from this minor edit
Oh, well I used the big outline b/c it helps me make the structure, I'll probably change the size, idk. I kinda actually like it this size, I'll make all the features inside the line have a small width instead. Can't do much yet, on my ipod -_-

Thanks for shading tip, and yeah, read above for info on mutant ear :P

Anyway, update. I tried to add some more features, would like some crits.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:06:18 pm by brod »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 04:05:23 pm
Oh right you want crit..Then I'll give you some.

I've looked at the arrangement of where your eyes and ears were and noticed that you were going to go for a slightly turned head...And so I shaded accordingly.
But from your latest update it looks like you have different things going on?!So

1.Your eyes,nose and mouth are facing directly towards us? Why? In my quick edit that I did before schooling you can see that I started shading in a way where the I brought the mid tone out of into the foreground thus the start of the nose was made. shape is is Important and is usually the first part of step, this you have done basically. But remember Volume before detail! Not that I need to tell you that.

2.Your ear is following the same view as the rest of the face? Silly! If you were to follow an imaginary the hair line, it would be easy to fix this.

Lastly? whats with that ugly brown?!!! Its actually unpleasant and and I think the old colour sufficed really. Also I feel that one of the colours  in your pallet is unusable? But brod buddy(sorry I love run of threes!   :D) I think you should add like a yellowish colour for the highlight.

Now go do some work on defining more of what you want. I'm not sure if you want it front on or side on?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:28:39 pm by Jim16 »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:14:33 pm

-be conservative with lines on surfaces (the nose, mainly) - don't lay them on heavy like with your outlines.
-You can vary the weight of your outlines to suggest volume.
-you've ended her head about where her hairline shoud be - which is common, but will wreck your volumes once you get to drawing hair.
-eyes are pretty deeply set into the head, so shadows under the eyes gives a lot of realness
-unless the eyes are especially wide open, your iris usually extends all the way from one eyelid to the other.
-lips are only slightly darker than the skin around (unless heavy lipstick) and top lip is darker than the lower.
- i can't draw ears, either. use reference, and you'll be better off than me.
that one is important:
use a photo for reference, observe distance between things relative to other things. You'll learn more stuff of use than anything I could say.

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:10:15 pm
Alrighty then, I decided to just scrap the old design and start anew.

Here's a new sketch..

I used this image as a reference. Also, many thanks tocky, lots of great tips.

And Jim, I changed it to purple b/c the red was too similar to the skin, so I thought this would work better.