AuthorTopic: fighting game mock-up ~pixelBoy format~  (Read 3993 times)

Offline marmotte

• View Profile
    • dot-invasion

fighting game mock-up ~pixelBoy format~

on: January 25, 2006, 04:48:40 am
hi all,

here's a mock-up (soon to be a real playable game)(where soon = months, hehe) of a fighting game that will be available in our pixelBoy format (pixelBoy is a virtual console that has many limitations, for example the mock-up uses only 5 colors)

i hope you'll enjoy the image so far! C+C welcome, of course... thanks!

you can take a look at its implementation in the pixelBoy here (it's still only an animated gif so far):
http://www.dot-invasion.com/pixelboy/mockup

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: fighting game mock-up ~pixelBoy format~

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 05:06:46 am
Pretty tight stuff here, nice fluid animation, great characters. The guy on the right bother's me a tab bit however. His < arm isn't moving much at all while > arm is moving around quite a bit, seems off balance to me I guess.

The background itself is pretty neat, but the dithering/detailing seems a tad bit messy. Even though there's a strict color limit, some of the existing tones could be used to AA and detail different areas ex: the balcony/stairs/big-whitish-thing above the guy's head. If the background isn't finished just ignore my comments ^^U.

Can't wait to see the playable version =D.

yosh64

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:18:36 am
hey

your game looks quite impressive, anyhows I'm really posting this as I'm quite interested of your "Virtual Console". I mean, what type of CPU does your "Virtual Console" have? can you post any docs of the Instruction Set? and the Registers? and how much memory? and have you designed or have any docs of the Memory Map? and also the Interupts? I'm guessing it works like an emulator? simular to the GameBoy? anyhows I thinks this is a cool idea, sounds like fun making ya own Virtual Console. :)

also, are you making a Development Kit for your "Virtual Console"?

cya
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 07:31:52 am by yosh64 »

Offline hondo

• Wish you where here.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 06:49:15 pm
Very impressive.  I love the whole PixelBoy set up and everything and it's totaly let me wanting more.  It's put a big smile on my face today as it makes me believe that this is what it's all about.  Please post back when you have more to show as I eagerly look forward to it ^_^

Offline ejay

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:14:31 pm
Cool!
I really like the animation, especially the way each character has a different rythm and style. The background's sketchyness is quite nice, i think it help set it apart from the foreground without grabbing too much attention thanks to the reduced contrast .

I played Meteor busters (to the very end) and had a great time . The sprites, backgrounds and effects are very well done, and the gameplay is fun in a nostalgic yet refreshing way . Are you doing the actionscript as well ?

Offline marmotte

• View Profile
    • dot-invasion

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 11:38:23 pm
thanks for the input so far, and thanks for your interest!

actually the background (it has to be in 4 colors else it's really messy with the characters, and i don't want to add any white border all around them) is temporary, it was used for one of our previous works, just got reduced to fit the mock-up and give us an idea of how it would look like.

yosh64
so many technical questions :P maybe you'll be disappointed, but the pixelBoy works online -yes, it's done in flash- . The idea is to use flash to produce some retro looking games, the limitations of 5 colors etc... have been decided, they are not a technical limitation...

ejay
really, you finished meteor busters. great new, a lot of people complained that it's way too hard, and usually don't even complete the 1st area (and even give up during the 1st "speed up" scrolling). But i don't think it's too hard myself... I hope that you liked also the replay value with the cheat codes, hehe.
And yes, i'm doing the actionscript myself. Actually i did everything for meteor busters, except the soundtrack. Things are different for that fighting game though, it's an idea of another artist that works with dot-invasion, he did the models and animated the guy to the right, while i animated the girl. 10 different characters are done now, but animating them takes so much time, haha.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 11:52:14 am by marmotte »