AuthorTopic: Face Attempt  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Face Attempt

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:54:15 pm
It appears to me you're using the reference wrong!

The reference depicts the underlying 3d shapes and volumes of a simplified head. What you should NOT do is look at it and make an outline. You should construct the head using those shapes such as spheres and cylinders, then we'll talk about edits!

Ideally, you'd be looking at a realistic head and mastering that before you touch cartoons. :mean: It's not my place to tell you what to do, but that's probably the best path you could take as a budding artist. The thing is, the person who drew your reference understands form to an extent, he understands placing objects in a 3d space. You, on the other hand, seem to try and represent things symbolically on a 2d plane without understanding what you're symbolizing!

For example, you drew a horizontal line for a mouth. To correct that, you drew a silhouette of a generic albeit recognizable sign for lips. Had you experience with some form of realism you would have likely simplified it to include a shaded upper lip and a lighter (or the absence of a) lower lip, with a shaded portion below the lower lip to signify that yes, there is a lower lip and it's casting a shadow because the light source is from above. You can observe this in tocky's example. Forget there are lips! there are only forms which are subject to light and shadow. The manga style you seem to want to draw well requires more understanding of realism and less of actual manga style. Cartoons are simplified realism. So if you learn the real thing first there is nothing stopping you from making the stylized simplifications you want in order to convey a cleaner and faster representation of a human face.

For your artistic health I can't stress how important it is to understand the real world before you draw things in a cartoon style, but I don't want to come across as a big mean "arg, no animu". I've talked to a lot of people who are unsuccessful artists because they study the manga style and try to duplicate it instead of learning realism and simplifying it with ease into manga. You don't memorize that 12536 + 252 = 12788. That is horribly inefficient and impractical. You need to think of the numbers as quantities. Once you grasp the number as a quantity, you can multiply them, add them, subtract them, in ANY situation. The same applies to learning how things actually are and then manipulating them with style filters. You can do Marvel, manga, chibi, whatever. (although many choose to make their own stylized interpretation) You see, it only gets you so far to learn "tricks" such as a carrot nose or a dark triangle under an M for the mouth. That won't get you far at all. However, if in your mind you see a real person and then simplify it into the desired style you will have no limits and your capabilities as a character artist will be unhindered.

I really hope you learned something from this post. You can't pixel until you learn to draw.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:43:05 pm
That makes sense.(yes even at 12 at night).
I think pixel art got me into art and it sucks that I wasn't able to do art in school or will be able to do this year in College. Though as I like to look around every where I think that your either the fourth or fifth person to say that on this forum or your the same dude. I spent hours in front of animé drawings and learnt nothing that helped me. But I listened to that statement when I first heard it and I must admit the quality of my pixel art as improved over the last few months from when I first met... brod actually.

Good times.
Now to get a life and go to sleep.
toodles

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 01:17:29 am
Err, just like to make a point that I did use shapes to create the outline. I just kinda.. erased them x_x
Gotta add the details somewhere.

Also, I don't want to create a cartoon/manga/anime styled face, I want to try a realistic drawing using these colors. So um, yeah. Failing so far, so I posted here.
I'll keep trying to find a face I can use to help me
And finally, I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the outline.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:19:15 am by brod »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 01:35:48 am
Pull a stock photo from somewhere, for instance deviantart: http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=resources/stockart/model/women/portrait&order=9&q=short (but be aware that most stock artists have rules for how you can use their stuff)

You've got the proportion kind of wrong. Remember to check the distance between two features is accurate relative to the distance between another two features, take note of stuff that lines up. Since you're drawing digitally it's probably easier to block in sections of colour than to draw and fill outlines.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:17:37 am by tocky »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 01:49:06 am
Whats with putting the eyes so high on the head? I think you need to research a bit into the construction of a human head, whether cartoony or not it all generally sticks to the same guidelines.

This may be a good little video to watch, he seems to explain it in a clear consistant way.

http://www.drawingcoach.com/figure-drawing-head.html

But I'd always suggest to learn from life, whether you search for pictures or simple draw from observation there's no better way to learn. Try not to mimic someone else's drawings without full knowledge of why and hows.

might be useful to..

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?s=4fec6fe634ed3e2ce5483cf7e23592b6&attachmentid=30114&d=1180098353
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:57:24 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 03:54:24 pm
Err, just like to make a point that I did use shapes to create the outline. I just kinda.. erased them x_x
Gotta add the details somewhere.

Also, I don't want to create a cartoon/manga/anime styled face, I want to try a realistic drawing using these colors. So um, yeah. Failing so far, so I posted here.
I'll keep trying to find a face I can use to help me
And finally, I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the outline.

Oh man I'm so sorry!  :-[ I assumed, I shouldn't assume. But either way, what I said should help you.

I don't think you should be using an outline, actually. Or at least not just an outline. I think that if you want to draw a head, you should model it out of values instead of tracing the contour. You get a better sense of what the face actually is. Remember, an outline is merely a stylistic edge translation of what you actually see. As for a reference, you could always do a self portrait! Either that, or someone close to you, as you should already be familiar with their face.