AuthorTopic: Creeping in the Shadows (optional C64 HiRes, triangles!)  (Read 23355 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs
The idea popped up yesterday morning.  Sneaking ninja chick.  Great, but that sounds kinda overused, doesn't it?  Okay, maybe not that much, but still.  Triangles.  Two hundred.  Why not making a sneaking ninja chick out of two hundred triangles?  Okay. . .  Or wait.  Why not making a sneaking ninja chick out of two hundred traingles in two colors, say monochrome; say the C64 HiRes mode?  Anyone?  No?  Right on, I'll do it.  Let's hit it!

So basically I had this: and this: -- originally planning to use 100 of each type, then gone wild and forgotten about the rule (which would make the work a real PAIN in the ass, I guess!).  Nevermind.  It wasn't easy either -- because I wanted to electrify the character with an emotional charge.

Try zooming out.  It really looks like a tiptoeing woman.  If you don't get what's that all about (pixel-placement isn't random), check IT!!! out, as that may shed some light.

Here's the reference: CLICK!  Or maybe was it this: CLICK! ?

Yeah, I know I could use different colors and all that, but I didn't want to.  This is everything fresh I can pull out of the Ptoing & Helm's chunk style.  I'm still thinking of something more "revolutional" (probably there isn't much more to do with it, but still).

Please tell me what do you think!  *Any* comment or a word of critique is warmly welcomed!  I may do some minor fixes, but we'll see if there's anything to fix.  Ptoing, if you're reading this, might you maybe check how the thing works on the real C64?  Here's the compiled .PRG.  I'm curious if the shapes still will be easy to distinguish.

If you want to pick up the gaunlet, I may set a challenge.  Random canvas dimensions.  100 triangles.  50/50 smaller/bigger ratio (an 8x8 square counts as 2 big or 4 smaller ones) -- make whatever you want.  If you can't think of anything, let it be an exploding robot (give away the emotions!), or your favorite comic/cartoon hero.  Mine would be Ren from "Ren & Stimpy", or Bender from "Futurama".  Thas "Kiss my shiny metal ass!" dude, you know.

PS:  If you're able to count all the triangles found in my work, I owe you a bottle of some brand whisky!

Also, keep in mind. . .

NINJA CAT STRIKES FROM ABOVE!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:30:51 am by johnnyspade »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Re: Creeping in Shadows (optional C64 HiRes, triangles!)

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:01:21 pm
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:51:07 pm
Good.  I love it.  Thanks for the sexy ninja lady picture, by the way.  Just what I needed.  ::)  :lol: :huh: :'(

So.
Critique.
I looks great, up until the upper chest.  I'd suggest showing the whole face, because right now it's just noise;  I can't tell if her head is exploding or just giving off weird triange light.  Now, as I write this, it becomes clear as to what the face is/what it's doing, but when I first looked at it it was totally unreadable.  So, forgo the bandanna, or at least try, and I think having the head look at you is weird; try for profile view of face instead.  Also, maybe highlight the hair instead of the sel-out weird white stuff going on on the outside of the hair.

And

Why is there a huge black space around the sword?  If it's because of the triangle limit I'd lose the triangle limit.  Black thing around the sword looks bad IMHO.

Sweet idea tho,
keep it up!

Shrike

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:55:47 pm
Thank you!  Fixed the sword outline (bad design), and her head (bandana retained, though) as well as hair.  Yeah, it probably looks better:

Alternatively:

What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:05:34 pm by johnnyspade »

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:10:51 pm
I like this, I think it has a lot of potential. It seems even with the stylistic jagginess, the anatomy is kinda wonky. Here's my edit:

I think she may look a little more stout in my edit, but I think it addresses some fundamental issues. Sorry, I didn't have time to include all the cool triangles :)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:57:06 pm
Thanks for the edit, Josh!  I rechecked the anatomy, how about this:

?

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:30:21 pm
Given how low her right arm is, I imagine her right shoulder should be lower than her left and as a result her right titty should be lower than her left. At least that's how my titties are when I try mimicking her pose.

With the latest edit (which I saw first) I read her as looking to viewer left and wearing an eye mask, whereas in the earliest versions I read her as looking toward the viewer and wearing a ninja-style mouth/nose mask thing. Could perhaps do with some clarification.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:37:34 pm by surt »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:41:14 pm
Good remark!  Thank you!  Here you go:

Hope you like the head more now!  She looks right, like behind her back -- searching for invisible enemies hidden in the shadows, and ready to swing the sword at any moment.

edit: I was just answering at the Polish forum, where another wip thread goes on, and if you haven't found any sense in the picture yet, here's what I was, more or less, aiming at:
Japan -->  ninja --> essence superior to the form (minimalism or, in case of Japan, haiku) --> this work <-- form superior to the essence (kitsch) <-- scantily clad chick <-- demoscene
(it's all based on simple associations and the stream of consciousness)

edit2: and prolly the final version:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:35:41 pm by johnnyspade »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:59:49 pm
Face reads much clearer now. Jaw perhaps looks a little strong now though.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:32:33 am
Well, I can always get back to the previous solution and work on hair, like in the one below.

Maybe that's even better?