AuthorTopic: since bovasso's portrait was so awesome...  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Accident

• Someone call the ambulance!
    • View Profile

since bovasso's portrait was so awesome...

on: February 10, 2009, 01:47:29 am
... I became inspired.
Dammit. c; Too bad I'm not as gorgeous as she is.-- about Ginger, I lost inspiration, as the snow lessened up here in Mass.
Thus, here are some really bad references. 1 (not pretty, but the clearest picture I can find.)| 2 (I make silly faces instead. this is the face I want to portray.)

Looks more like a painting now than anything else, but I'm getting a little lost. <:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: since bovasso's portrait was so awesome...

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:13:32 am
Cool. Well, it's a pretty big canvas. I think you could shrink it quite a bit and still achieve a lot of detail, and such.

My recommendation would be to work in only a few values to start off with, say a dark shadow, a midtone and a highlight, and block in the shading with those. Then add in 2 tones between those three and refine, then add more as you see fit from that point. That way you narrow down the structure of the subject (particularly with subjects from reference). Reduce and conquer.

If you're having trouble with the portrait, try getting a reference image as close as possible to the desired pose/angle.

Offline Accident

• Someone call the ambulance!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:56:13 am

's only about this big. I just like working in 2x. c:
But yes, I'll listen and work on it when I get home.

Offline Oltar

• View Profile
    • Akira V.3.0

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:18:32 pm
I think you need to make some corrections on the basic structure of the head.
My english sucks.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:37:13 pm
To make a better basic structure, you need to apply more structure to the base :P

Click

Started with the rough shape, though ended with the hat. The grey lines are potential `outlines` though what I really drew here was the grey sketch lines that display volume. Although it is traced from the photo, that makes it more clear what I drew; drawing on a smaller scale, only looking at the photo should not obstruct you from doing this.

I'm showing the relationship in shape. Started with the face, a big circle if you'd ask me! The nose, also a circle, a small tip - another circle - and nostril, again a circle; although having a hole in the end result.
I went on with the cheeks and chin, chin leading to the jaw, all of those leading to a proper mouth space. The eyes sockets are.. sort of circular, and I had a bit of a help circle above the left cheek. It probably would've bene better if I'd have considered the helpcircle and the other circle as one volume, same going for the other cheek.

Combining volumes and their relationships, attachments and overlap of structural elements, those build up your drawing in a proper way. It may require study of facial anatomy, though just looking at it's exterior topology may prove enough (I probably haven't studied even 1% of what I should've to be explaining you this properly though  :ouch:)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:39:14 pm by TrevoriuS »