AuthorTopic: Soldier Dude - Run Cycle  (Read 12169 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Soldier Dude (w/ updates)

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 01:39:49 am
no, no body armor, I was just antialiasing with the colours you already had in the palette. If nothing else, you can take out the highlight shade, but I think the shirt needs a bit of aa

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 03:23:46 am
Hadn't noticed the usage of other colors on the shirt's aa, nice one. Tried fiddling with the ones i already had to do that aa, but decided to keep what i had and add another inbetween color (still only at 16 colors, and i'm not worried about limiting colors on this one).

Just added a buffer color between the two shades in the shirt. Since it's made of black fabric, i don't think adding brighter shades would help, as light usually doesn't add much brightness to this kind of material. To me, either two or three shades seem enough... Besides, it's easier to animate and motion kind of obscures imperfections, if handled well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 03:51:56 am by Turbo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 04:46:33 am
Looks fine to me! Time to get moving, dude. Only 1,000 sprites left to draw until you're done.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Re: Soldier Dude - Idle Animation

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 06:38:33 am
Here's the idle animation (while not holding weapons). Over/underdone? Moar frames? Remember, it's going to be seen at about 300% in the end, zoom in a coupl'a times.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 11:34:54 am
His head should move a lil bit upwards, along with the chest. Also, consider some movements on the legs.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 03:27:41 pm
I disagree, Filax. I think over exaggerated movement in the legs and head would clash with the realistic style.

I like that you only used the space in your sprite for the animation. Reminds me of how they made Samus's breathing animation in Super Metroid. I like how well you've used your buffer shades to suggest subtle movement of the chest. Even at 2x or 3x zoom I was surprised that the chest was all done using one extra pixel on each side[of the chest].

I don't have any complaints with it; it's probably not worth it to spend to much time on the idle animation, since the only time one will likely to see it will be when leaving to go to the bathroom or something.

Offline FireFly

• ~
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Account

Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 05:46:52 pm
I would say that moving head one pixel up, then down would make it better. More than that, it would just be too mush..
/ FireFly

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 05:38:54 am
No, 1 pixel is too much at that ratio.
However, do move the head via change of colors a la subpixel movement. Or try it. I dunno, too lazy to make an edit.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 06:34:12 am
Thanks for all the comments!

Filax_666: i tried adding some movement to the legs, but it seemed too exagerate given the small size of the sprite (since wrinkles look to big, and the legs don't move that much when one's breathing). I did give a go at the head movement, though (see below).

crab2selout.png: Thanks for the kind words :). At this size, i came to the conclusion that motion would have to be pretty much with buffer shading and subtle transitions. I've played Metroid only for a while before, but i'll check out the sprites to see what they did over there. Interesting that you say that the idle anim won't be seen that much, i had a different point of view (but i usually stop and admire the animations in games, marvelling at how pretty the colors are. And then i catch a bullet.)

Firefly and Crazy Asian Gamer: see below.

Original - Head bob 1px up - Sub pixel head movement

I see where you're coming from with the head movement idea, and if it were a larger sprite i'd definitely apply it, but at this size, i think even a subtle movement in that area doesn't work very well. I still prefer the original version, i think i'll keep it.

Thanks for all the help people. Working on a run cicle now, will post a wip soon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:46:02 am by Turbo »

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2006, 07:16:51 am
Yeah, leg movement was probably too much...keep that third one, it looks great!