AuthorTopic: Soldier Dude - Run Cycle  (Read 12167 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Soldier Dude - Run Cycle

on: January 24, 2006, 06:41:37 am
Run cycle update: at the bottom (or click here -> http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=796.msg9886#msg9886)

Hay guys, what's going on?
Here's a base pose of the main character for a little game i'm making. He's this bad ass soldier type guy, wearing black and grey soldier outfit and boots, and he's lit by the desert's warm sun. The game will run full-screeen at 320x240, so the pixels will be BIG.

Two versions, with outline and without. The outline completely changes the mood of a piece, but it's not supposed to be used, it's just so it may look better against the forums background.

I'd like to bring this to a state of excellence within my capabilities, because the remaining art and animation will be based on this one, so critique is MOST WELCOME. Go.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:25:27 pm by Turbo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Soldier Dude

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:12:29 am
stylish and very good colour choice. Lose the two gray pixels antialiasing the darker line under the armpit. You don't need them. Either leave the outline there, or take it out. I really like the warped physique and stance. All is well. Make the game.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:22:25 pm
Thanks for the kind words. Nice to hear that about color choice, specially from you of all people. The pixels on the back aren't anti-aliasing, they're actually supposed to give him a bit more muscular volume on his back (with a bit of back-lighting - i'm now trying other combinations for this).
Just for my curiosity, could you elaborate a bit on the "warped" part? First time i've ever heard that :)

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:26:25 pm
I'm not too fond of the first one; I love the second though, and I only love the second because it looks thicker, but I hate the outline.

I would just beef him up. Thats about it. :)
@darionmccoy

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:01:00 pm
long neck, small head, 9 and a half heads tall, slim and lean. That's what I'm talking about.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:01:56 am
Oh that! Really hadn't noticed it, but i guess i tend to do that frequently. Nice to notice aspects of your stuff that you'd miss before. Thanks for pointing it out.

So, this guy went to the gym once, and came out weighing about 40 pounds more (which is to say, i tried adding some selout, cause i want him to be a badder ass and not that slim, as you've pointed out). I also tried cutting some colors, cause animating this thing with over 20 colors will probably take forever.

So, the original (on a different bg), and the new. Choose your favourite ploz:

. . .

And i animated one of his idle stances, breathing. Opinions wanted!

Thanks for comments so far! And keep em coming.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:05:50 am
Nice. The 1st one reminds me of "Flashback" or "Out of this World." Just a little bit.
On the 2nd one I do like the volume that the outline adds, but the outlineless style of the 1st one draws me eye. Arrg.
Em, alright then.
Like Helm said, he's kinda warped, but that doesn't lend to the "bad ass soldier type guy" look you seem to be going for.

Anywho, looking cool thus far. I look forward to seeing him in motion.

Erk. Whoops.
Ya done gone and beefed him up.

Looks like *his* right foot his could be moved to *our* left just about a pixel. Maybe his right forearm, too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:08:46 am by Xion Night »

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:29:39 am
Xion Night - right on the money! I was going for a "Flashback" type of sprite, with a "realistic" look, but without all the rotoscoping. The game itself will borrow heavily from Flashback, Metal Slug and Metal Gear Solid (though simpler, of course). So i'd prefer to keep the versions without the outline, unless people prefer the outlined ones (that way, the look will go more the way of Blackthorne, heh). Otherwise, i'd already have gone all crazy adding bulk to his upper body :).
btw, I tried your suggestions, but it looks better as it is with the foot and arm.

Another two versions, one with a smoother selout, and another in a shorter but bulkier version.

New selout:

New steroids:

All together now:

NEW NEW

P.S: goddamn graphics gale and its transparencies argh

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Soldier Dude (w/ updates)

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 11:13:52 am
will borrow heavily from Flashback, Metal Slug and Metal Gear Solid (though simpler, of course).

I love you.

The very last update is best. Don't lose the pants colour, it's very important. Otherwise he gets a bit dull.

EDIT: well actually no... here's an edit with various modifications you might care for

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:21:43 am by Helm »

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Re: Soldier Dude (w/ updates)

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 01:29:25 am
Oh cool, you edited the dude! Thanks for the pointers!
Regarding the palette change, yours is in fact better for a more neutral ambient color, like daylight with a bluish sky tint, but i was going for a yellow tint on purpose, for a "hot desert" feel, hinting at sundown. So i'll keep the original one.
Nice changes on the anatomy on the arms and legs (thicker arms and all). I'll use them, except for the left leg, keeps him more "dynamic" with legs apart. Nice job on the boots too, i was struggling with that and you solved it :). On the torso, your edit suggests a body armor (which makes a lot of sense, but oddly i hadn't yet thought of it), and looks really good, but he's supposed to be wearing a normal shirt. I'll definitely use it if i get him some armor (but i'm thinking more along the lines of a "load bearing vest" ala Solid Snake).

NU 1: