AuthorTopic: Revamping Hammerman  (Read 50230 times)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: Revamping Hammerman

Reply #70 on: March 09, 2009, 01:07:59 am

Well I'm sorry but it's not my fault you decided to animate before even refining your character.  :-\
I just think your pixel work is sloppy tbh, which leads to sloppy limb stretching animations, that contain the right motion but lack the proper mechanics.

Your guy running lands with both feet together, which would never happen in a run cycle, his leg should bend and stay up off the ground until it lands to pull him forward.
His right arm goes so far forward yet his left arm is like gimped and just bends outward.
Even when it goes back it lacks the same movement shown in his right arm.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:14:53 am by Souly »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: March 09, 2009, 03:15:25 am
Before refining my character? Huh, out of anything I've made I would say that applies the least to this guy. Did you even see the old thread? 90% of it was refining him.
that was the original.

Now I'm not saying it can't get better or anything, just that you can't say it isn't refined. Tbh I don't really like most of the upper body edits, I'll work on the legs and the run cycle though.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #72 on: March 09, 2009, 03:36:31 am
Refining has stages
You start with a concept and work your way to something good.
Doesn't matter where it starts you eventually want a visually pleasing piece.

Half of your guys right bicept reads as a shoulder, the square white pixels, if this is supposed to be the shoulder it's too low and that'd make his arms too small.
I think his left shoulder is too far out.
Your character doesn't have a groin area at all.

And I don't get why you wouldn't like the upper body yours is messy and block jaggy pixels, I'm to assume that you would eventually apply proper AA where needed.
Look how messy your arm is, I see tons of bridging of colors where a color lines up with another shade, it just looks sloppy to me.
I can't clearly see any volumes in the arm at 1x zoom.
Just kind of looks like a blur of colors.

Looking at some of these frames and they don't even look feasible to be in such a position.
He looks like such a gimp seriously, his arm streches and bends in such ways because you're afraid to draw each frame singly without the other there as backup.
I wont lie I do the same thing a lot when I'm lazy, but it leads to a bad animation I think.
His back arm doesn't seem to move at all.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:59:35 am by Souly »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: March 09, 2009, 02:15:20 pm
Refining has stages
You start with a concept and work your way to something good.
Doesn't matter where it starts you eventually want a visually pleasing piece.

Okay, I'll go in depth. First off, the frame of mine you have there is missing a pixel on his hair, making it look weird. Second, yours' face looks too chubby, like he's blowing a bubble in an old cartoon. Third, the skin is too bright. I made it darker on purpose. The legs do look way better though.
Half of your guys right bicep reads as a shoulder, the square white pixels, if this is supposed to be the shoulder it's too low and that'd make his arms too small.
I don't know about you but my shoulder does go down from my neck. Last I checked most people's do. The white part of his sleeve is partially his shoulder, with a bit of upper arm BTW.
I think his left shoulder is too far out.
that was to make him look more muscular, not necessarily completely realistic I know, but it was more of a stylistic choice and I liked the way it turned out.
Your character doesn't have a groin area at all.
As I said I'm reworking the legs
And I don't get why you wouldn't like the upper body yours is messy and block jaggy pixels, I'm to assume that you would eventually apply proper AA where needed.
I really don't see this one at all.
Look how messy your arm is, I see tons of bridging of colors where a color lines up with another shade, it just looks sloppy to me.
I can't clearly see any volumes in the arm at 1x zoom.
Just kind of looks like a blur of colors.
yeah... I actually did mess this up. I'll fix it.
Looking at some of these frames and they don't even look feasible to be in such a position.
He looks like such a gimp seriously, his arm streches and bends in such ways because you're afraid to draw each frame singly without the other there as backup.
I wont lie I do the same thing a lot when I'm lazy, but it leads to a bad animation I think.
His back arm doesn't seem to move at all.
As I said, I'm still working on the run.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:25 pm

Major updates to all and to all a good night.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:31:17 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: March 27, 2009, 08:53:07 pm
It's cool to see the culmination of your hard work, brah. Rather than clutter this thread with meaningless commendation I'll issue one crit - the dark blue AA on the inside of the hammer just makes the line look thicker and not smoothed. Also, yer portrait looks cool overall but is still a little wonked up - nose is smashed flat, what's up with the eyes?, ear looks too small, some texture in the hair would rock.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:53 pm
I get all that except the nose issue, would you mind either making an edit or explaining in greater depth?
Edit; Oh, and he's squinting. Weird, I can't get it right in this but I can draw it fine on paper.
Edit2: okay, I think its all fixed.
-still not quite done ATM
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:39:25 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #77 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:39 pm
Previous issues with portrait still stand, though it's getting better. Neck doesn't connect to back of the head right, ear is small and misplaced, nose is invented, nosetrils especially, hairline problems. Facial characteristics are still symbols and not geometric shapes. You've been given critique to fix all these issues so I won't repeat it here, when you're ready to commit to drastic changes and study to become better, it's all written here.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: March 27, 2009, 09:42:32 pm
You posted that while I was editing my previous post so a couple things are better. But I have been studying and stuff, it just takes time.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #79 on: March 27, 2009, 09:54:20 pm
Best of luck to you but from what I see in this thread you post something, people give you hard ways to make it much better and easy ways to make it a little better, and you go for the easy ways only. Perhaps that's good because you're making a videogame and this way you stand a chance to finish it, though.