AuthorTopic: Revamping Hammerman  (Read 50225 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Revamping Hammerman

Reply #50 on: February 28, 2009, 12:21:12 am
There's more than one way to shroud eyes my friend... *maniacal laughter*

Great, go use one of those and then come back with some kind of nice edit!
' _ '

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: February 28, 2009, 04:49:14 am
Actually the point of that was that he said that when incorporating contrived lighting into a character design its often forced and makes no sense, so in other situations he might have his arm over his eyes to block the sun, or have the shoulder of a baddie get in the way.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: February 28, 2009, 01:29:14 pm
 D: While that may be, it makes no sense to avoid eyes in a portrait like that. You have never put eyes on anything I've seen you do. Either it's a coincidence or you don't know how, but eyes are very important parts of the face. They convey so much emotion and feeling. Shrouding them is an effect, and it can have its uses, but on this character his sprite looks very clearly like a greaser and there isn't much "evil" or hidden about him in any way. The portrait does not reflect the character. You may think it's adding character but it's really taking it away, sadly. Helm's anatomical edit has much more character, aside from being solidly constructed. Can you see how much the eyes add? They make him weary, yet determined, and let the player connect with him in some way.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 01, 2009, 12:57:49 am

Made some touch-ups, gonna do the portrait later.
Edit: okay I actually did some work on the portrait then forgot, then remembered, then did more.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:43:37 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #54 on: March 01, 2009, 01:13:31 pm

Sorry for Van Damming but he's the closest angle I could find on short notice. I would suggest you try to look at this and sketch it a lot of times until you realize what the shapes of the face are and the distances between them. This will not be enough generally, but it will be enough to help you with your portrait. As long as you just nitpick from the critique you get and do not plunge off the deep end with learning how to draw, you will progress very slowly. The portrait is better now than it was before but it still needs a lot of love.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #55 on: March 01, 2009, 09:44:58 pm
For the people saying the animation is not practical, didn't most of you tell him to make it look like the hammer is heavy?  So when he makes it less heavy you guys say its unrealistic and yet when he makes it heavy you say its impractical.  Make up your minds you are confusing the poor boy.  Personally Tuna,   
when I look at your walk I think more of a lock on type thing(though that doesn't work well in a 2D game)  I'm on the side of the fence that thinks you should make it practical and less realistic.  If you are going to have dashing, keep the run, scrap the walk unless it serves a very noticeable purpose.

Quick question, what program do you use to animate?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: March 01, 2009, 11:11:32 pm
Graphicsgale, and I have how it will work worked out. When holding the hammer you walk like that and can dash. If you drop the hammer you run faster and can no longer dash.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 08:45:28 pm
Does it dematerialize like the keyblade?  You give a little something for doing it one way but you also take something away.  I like that idea, good call!  See if you can put some kind of limit on the dashing though, otherwise I would never drop the hammer and just dash around.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: March 02, 2009, 09:06:22 pm
I don't agree that the eyes need to forced on the character. Maybe if the portrait is going to be as big as it is now, then yeah maybe, but look at BlackThorne a.k.a. Helm :) He doesn't have eyes either! And man is that dude some serious badass!

And I second Mike, I think the hammer should be practical. The walk animation as it is now fits to something like dragging an object. But if the hero is going to swing that ginormous hammer, then he shouldn't have problem carrying it around. I think it looks just stupid that he first drags it like it weighs 1000tons and then swings it like a feather-duster. :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:09:09 pm by ter-o »
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: March 06, 2009, 10:43:46 pm
Okay, this took a while.

Obviously still p. messy but I'm getting to that. Just want to make sure there's no gaping flaws in the anim first.