AuthorTopic: Revamping Hammerman  (Read 50222 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Revamping Hammerman

Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 10:36:47 pm
As you've been told before, you do not try enough to learn how to draw human beings yet you spend all this time on pixel art techniques.

First you must learn to draw in the classical sense before you deal with 'okami styles' and the such. Take the edit and the urging as the same thing: pick up a book or online if you will, that will explain the  human body and drawing and volumes instead of making variations of the same errors perpetually.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:02 am

better?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:48 am
Look in a mirror and compare your own face to your drawing. Pay attention to things like how far down your eyes are, where your nose ends, where the top and bottom of your ears rest in relation to your facial features. There are a multitude of issues that can be resolved if you just use some real life references. It's extremely difficult to draw something so complex as a face without such knowledge.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 01:13:29 am

better?

No, it looks the same. Where does the neck connect with the head? Where does the ear stand on the side of the head? How do nostrils work? Where does the mouth stay in relation to the jaw? How do eyes work? What are typical male hairlines? How do I shade the volumes of the cheeks?These are questions you need to find answers for by reaching for reference and systematic learning.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 03:26:22 am
Helm that was quite possibly the most useful thing I've seen all week. Thank you very much for that animation!

Anyways, the points everyone has given so far are probably the best advice you're gonna get. Figure out how a face works before attempting to stylize it!

Sprite looks better, though :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 04:43:16 am
Tuna: Just wanted to point out that this portrait indeed is a step in the right direction, it seems that your subconscious is getting better at doing things the right way. Angularity is replaced with more symmetry and coherent shapes, which is good.

As helm says, though, study FACE! You need to learn more about FACE

(:

Also this is just me messing around with helm's edit in order to clarify that what he means is not that the result you should be getting is the face he drew, but rather that's how much a 'realistic' face differs in construction from the one you drew!

What I did was basically just work from helm's edit trying to find that style that you were looking for, just to further prove the point that knowledge about proportions, anatomy and construction is paramount! Get stuff right before you start playing around with it! Learn the rules before you break them! Yadda yadda!

It looks like fucking akuma though. I might have to do another edit, heh.

I'm not gonna say you have to give up pixel art and come back only when you can draw a face on paper, but PLEASE try to do some basic facial construction on this guy and go from there, showing us the process, so we can help you get stuff right WHERE and WHEN it really MATTERS.

Good luck! : D
' _ '

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 03:02:12 pm

Clint Eastwood patented badass squinting will give you the same attitude you're looking for but without contrived lighting.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:39 pm
Thanks to everyone for all the edits and stuff, for some reason Jad's really reminds me of Akuma. I'll try and get it to work.
But what do you mean by contrived lighting?
Edit: haha, just noticed he actually said it looks like akuma.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:59:20 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 07:09:26 pm
By contrived lighting I mean having shadows where no shadows ought to be, just to achieve a certain effect. It's okay as an artist to do that in controlled amounts - half the fun of drawing is being able to manipulate stuff in ways a photographer can't. But you don't want to incorporate it into the actual character design or you'll find yourself being *forced* to use fake lighting and shadows whether you want to or not. And that's never good. If your character design requires having a shadow over a certain part of his face at all times, you'll constantly have to manipulate the light around him in any scene he's in, OR you'll have a weird fake-looking shadow that's horribly out of place, since it's not being produced by a light but simply a dark spot attached to his face.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:46:15 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 10:48:32 pm
There's more than one way to shroud eyes my friend... *maniacal laughter*