AuthorTopic: Revamping Hammerman  (Read 50220 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: Revamping Hammerman

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 01:57:33 pm
Well with the huge hammer on the end it would bend, but even so I still don't see it.

Offline Streety

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 09:44:42 pm
If you watch the animation closely, when he's pulling the hammer towards him after he's put his foot down it looks more like it's a rope-- and the head of the hammer is a big metal cylinder. Tried to elaborate a little bit on what xhunterko said.

Take a hard look, I think you'll see it.  :crazy:

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 10:36:25 pm
I honestly can't see it. Can someone like make an edit or something? I have no idea what the problem is.

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 10:50:42 pm
Look the animation is trully amazing, but as long I can remember, this guy is supposed to have lighting-dashing powers, powerful jumpings and also, he was able to run
so how would someone like myslef walk so damm slowly with a hammer that I barely can carry if I can just go to the end of the level using my lighting dash powers or jumping around?
and anyway...how are you supposed to jump if you just have problems carry'n this hammer while walking?

This does not make any sense to me my friend...I mean, the animation is awesome it would really be nice to see that that giant hammer is preety damn heavy but in my opinion, your first animation just make it faithfully. I think you are underestimating the perfect animation you did before.

;)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 04:50:27 am
To be cautious? I dunno. I'll think it up when I get there.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 02:44:05 pm
People overthink this. Why does he carry it slow even though he can jump with it? Cause he's awesome like that.

Games don't need reasons...

Carry on good sir :)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 02:52:09 pm
I like you more every time you post.

But seriously guys, when I make him lift it and carry it around like nothing, its unrealistic. But when i make him drag it around realistically its impractical?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 03:08:17 pm
Just put a rocket booster on the hammer and all problems = solved.

I'm actually not being facetious, it's already over-the-top so why not?  :D
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:06 pm
The only reason why you'd have him drag the overweighted hammer around rather than casually carrying it around is that you want to convince the player that it's huge, massive and that it's gonna shake the ground as soon as they use it.

You can go for "superhero" that can carry that massive hammer like a golf club or for a regular hero with something special that let his do deathly blows with the hammer but doesn't change other aspects of his daily life (the hammer is still damn heavy when he's not "invested by a mighty god of revenge" or when he's not turning on the Anti-gravity system of the hammer).

Imho, that doesn't mean that you need to decide why he can do so unless you can come with a gameplay element (e.g. he needs to keep an eye on the power level of that anti-gravity system or the hammer will be useless) that is interesting and might worth a word of explanation. An alternative would be "fine, you've got the hammer, but it is too heavy for you to jump, so you'll have to leave it there, jump, toggle that switch, come back and pick it up" ... and if someone attacks you while you've left it behind ... too bad.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:25 pm
Ben- As awesome as that would be, I was going for a more "legendary" feel.
Pype bros- that would actually be pretty cool. I'll think about that. It could also work for puzzles (leaving the hammer on a switch) or certain boss fights (fight with honour, no weapons kinda thing)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:25:55 pm by Tuna Unleashed »