AuthorTopic: Revamping Hammerman  (Read 50228 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Revamping Hammerman

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 12:44:09 am
That works much better in my world so yeah! (sorry for the oneliner! BY A MOD OUTRAGEOUS)
' _ '

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 12:51:45 am
The frame with the highest point on the leg going forward I really dislike.
It morphs and looks all deformed.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 01:56:12 pm
Which leg?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 03:54:20 pm
Hey tunafish, great work. I love the shaky painful straining wobble he does as he walks because it's so expressive, but I agree with souly, it's so novel you'll tire of it quickly and it becomes excessive. I think souly "fixed" it. Maybe you can just slow him down some.

Overall, the old animation just looks like he's being cautious, and the new one acheives your goal of him being under strain/weight.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 04:05:16 pm
One thing you have to think of is it will be a lot less noticeable in-game.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:26 pm
That's true.
It's easy to forget the isolated-out sprites we see in this forum are just one of many elements displayed on-screen at the same time.

How often does the user character walk like this, does he always have the hammer?

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 11:04:19 pm
It doesn't look like anybody's pointed this out yet. Whenever he moves forward while the head is shaking, I noticed something odd about the hammer. It appears that the hammer handle by the hands, look a little like rope or elastic. Maybe add more of the handle during the animation? Or keep the handle straight throughout the animation maybe?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 11:28:28 pm

Here's how it should look in game eventually. For those people who don't understand what's going on with the hammer. I find this is not a bad anim, but you need to work on volume preservation in the legs, they do seem to shrink and stuff.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 11:55:25 pm
Mathias- this is if you only press forward, then double-tap is run, and a different button is dash. You always have the hammer though. you would only ever use this while fighting or while being cautious.
xhunterko- don't really understand your meaning
Gil- thanks, and will do.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 07:11:03 am
(Sorry you forgot about this already. But I had to say something and didn't notice your new thread. My bad.)

Here, this little topic may help. Since I couldn't find a good one on google, I looked here.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6177.0

What Souly was trying to do here is slightly the same as what you are. However, whenever the sword guy walks, I want you to pay attention to the sword handle. Notice how it jiggles a little bit? That doesn't look like a stiff, wooden handle does it? Yours does the same thing, only more exaggerated. The handle doesn't look really stiff. Almost as if its part rope or something.

Also, check out souly's black and white edit on the first page. In that sketch, he keeps the sword handle straight and stiff like it should. But in the new colored one, it's still jerking. Hope I explained myself a little clearer.