AuthorTopic: Dig Dug Retro Remake (Major Update+ Download!)  (Read 19936 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Dig Dug Retro Remake (Major Update+ Download!)

on: January 23, 2006, 10:46:48 pm
EDIT===============

i know theres quite a few bugs in it, but its pretty good knowing we rushed so much

Download:
http://www.insectiledonut.com/TeamCalypson_DigDug_v2.rar

EDIT===============

im in a playbasic programming competition right now.  The theme is retro 8 bit or 16 bit atari or commadore classic remakes.  My team and I have chosen to remake the infamouse Dig Dug.  If you haven't played it, I seriousely suggest downloading it for MAME. (make sure you get dig dug 1, #2 sucks)  They also released a remake called "dig dug: digging strike" for the DS.

if your interested in the compo:
www.underwaredesign.com/forums

anyway, some of this is non-pixel-art, but the game itself is...

just a cool logo screen i made for my wanna-be programming company

im not too pleased with the title screen quite yet.

the game itself.  Its kinda looking fejer-ish, but thats unintensional.  (original screen to the right)

C+C away

MAJOR UPDATE! =============

the art was way rushed - could have been alot better, but i ran out of time - great game none-the-less
I'll post the download link tomorrow
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 01:01:33 pm by Indigo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Dig Dug Retro Remake

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:59:16 pm
There's nothing more evil than that little dig dug fellow, who SADISTICALLY AND FOR NO REASON AT ALL inflates creatures, spears them, pops them, squashes them and generally goes about being a complete jerk.

I'm eagerly looking forward to your remake!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 11:08:47 pm
lol - well he is not exactly sadistic in our version.  We decided to give reason to his madness.  In the original game, (or any old retro game for that matter) it never explains why he is doing what he is doing.  In ours, it takes place at the roswell new mexico ufo crash site.  You are trying to capture all of the aliens before they get away....either that or the crash caused radio-active waste to spread over the land and mutate the ground animals - so you, a coolio hazmat, have to clean up the mess.  haven't decided quite yet

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 12:36:29 am
There's nothing more evil than that little dig dug fellow, who SADISTICALLY AND FOR NO REASON AT ALL inflates creatures, spears them, pops them, squashes them and generally goes about being a complete jerk.

I'm eagerly looking forward to your remake!
And it only gets worse in the sequel where he unleashes the forces of Tesla.
http://www.intuitor.com/resonance/tesla.html
 I think we can pretty much say, without a doubt, that dig dug is the single most evil character in the history of gaming.

I think the surface desert part doesn't blend into the rocky background very well. Maybe add some tops to the cutoff rocks or something.

I almost prefer it without the top part with the cactuses and sky. I like the way the flat tunnels and texturous rocks contrast against eachother and the top of the screen ruins that for me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 06:15:13 am
Nikola Tesla is the only real superhero/villain that has ever lived, a man of science and wonderment, a rolemodel and an all-around awesome guy! Dig Dug Dude is now also cool in my book!

I must say I am not pleased with giving him a backstory, but it's your game. I prefer to think of him as just an asshole guy going around spearing animals.

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 02:23:55 pm
<- Primo numero uno Dig Dug fan since 5 years of age!

I just recently got the evily addictive DS version (which oddly combines Dig Dug 1&2 to a certain extent). They gave him a back story in it. Mr Hori Taizo--who I imagine talks like Hunter S Thompson--is annoyed that his son Susumu of Mr. Driller is getting all the fame and glory, and takes one of his son's job to remove pests from a set of islands even though the patrons don't really trust him... Though, to clear the stage he sinks the island and viciously drowns the creatures he didn't pop, I think he ends up being more of a pest then the creatures.

I love the way you did the dirt, by the way :D Though, the cacti kind of freak me out, but that's just me. Maybe it's their lips...

I was also making a Dig Dug remake mock-up for myself during downtime but never actually finished it. Based his design more after his NamcoXCapcom style.
----
Schu

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 08:19:35 pm
I must say I am not pleased with giving him a backstory, but it's your game. I prefer to think of him as just an asshole guy going around spearing animals.

Yeah, indeed. I'll have to agree with crab about the cacti, too; just seems out of place, to me.

My only other gripe would be the main character. The sprite is like, too messy for its style that its almost obscure. It seems like its just me though, since no one else has mentioned it ( bad eyesight ).

Nice job, though.
@darionmccoy

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 09:07:08 pm

I was also making a Dig Dug remake mock-up for myself during downtime but never actually finished it. Based his design more after his NamcoXCapcom style.

If that's supposed to be the Dig Dug guy, it's the most retarded thing I have ever seen. Goddamnt it, not everything should be generified into cookie-cutter anime guys with cool glasses and a gun. Dig Dug guy isn't even human in my head! Nnnnrghh

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 09:12:42 pm

If that's supposed to be the Dig Dug guy, it's the most retarded thing I have ever seen. Goddamnt it, not everything should be generified into cookie-cutter anime guys with cool glasses and a gun. Dig Dug guy isn't even human in my head! Nnnnrghh

I concur! Digdug guy is way closer to a smurf than a human, I think he is a robot smurf.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 03:56:25 am
Papa Smurf?. *Runs away*

Actually this one is way better than Namco's :D

...Ah well xD They may have power rangered him in NxC but he still blows up Pooka and Fygar with his weird drill-pump. Gotta love the theme song at least!
------
Schu
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 04:02:14 am by Schu »